Thought for March 7, 2024

  •  321: Constantine declares Sunday a day of rest in the Empire
  • 1530: The Pope denies Henry VIII's divorce request
  • 1876: Alexander Graham Bell patents the telephone
  • 1908: Cincinnati Mayor announces that "women are not physically fit to operate automobiles."
  • 1912: Roald Amundsen announces the discovery of the South Pole [found on December 14, 1911]
  • 1936: Hitler breaks the Treaty of Versailles by sending troops into the Rhineland
  • Born: Rob Roy, Rachel Weisz
  • Died: Aristotle, Thomas Aquinas, Cool Papa Bell [Sachel Paige said he could turn out the light and be in bed before it got dark], Stanley Kubrick
Thought:
Continuing with Colossians 3 and what we should be doing if we have been raised with Christ. This morning I am looking at Colossians 3:15-17. Three times in these verse Paul tells us to let something happen. When I read this, I understand that these are things that Christ in the Holy Spirit wants for my life, but I have to let the Spirit do these things. So, if I have been raise with Christ:
  • I will let the peace of Christ rule my heart. the fruit of the Spirit includes peace. Jesus is the Prince of Peace. Jesus is our peace. [Ephesians 2:14] And yet, sometimes my heart is not at peace. Jesus wants my heart to be at peace. He has ended the hostility between me and God. In Him I am forgiven and redeemed. I am at peace with God and now I need to let His peace calm and control my heart. Jesus tells us to be anxious for nothing, but rather let our requests be known to God. How do I let His peace control my heart--I trust His promises. I trust His plan. I trust His timing. I trust His purpose. I don’t always understand these, but I trust Him. So if I know He has it--I can be at peace. Children sleep through the storm because they are in your bed. Children walk in the dark because they have your hand. God has our hand--do not fear.
  • I will let His words dwell in me richly. His words contain all the wisdom I need. His words are perfected for correcting and challenging me. His words are bread and water for the soul. Now, look at what Paul says--sing His words to yourself and to each other. Many of you have sung to children when they are sick or scared. Many of you have sat with a loved one as they faced death and sung to them hymns of truth and hope. Each week we join together in the hymns of the faith to encourage, assure, affirm each other. And before someone corrects me--Paul says to sing the words of the Bible [psalms], sing the hymns of the church [with organ and piano], and sing spiritual songs [Negro spirituals from the fields of toil, songs of praise sung with a guitar or drums]. Songs are easy to remember. And we can share them together. But first, we must let His words dwell, set up residence in our hearts and minds. They are our weapons against the arrows of doubt and fear sent by satan.
  • I will say and do everything in Jesus name with thanksgiving. I have written before that this verse is a challenge. When I get to bed tonight, can I say that everything I said and did today can be said or done in the name of Jesus--are they what He would say or do; are they what He taught. If I put on everything I was supposed to [fruit of the Spirit and 3:10-14] then maybe my words and deeds were done as unto the Lord. 
Lord, help us allow Your peace to reign and Your words to dwell so that our words and deeds will be Yours.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024