Thought for March 30, 2024

  •  240 BC: First recorded passage of Halley's comet
  • 1842: Dr. Crawford Long uses ether as anesthetic for the first time
  • 1856: Treaty of Paris ends the Crimean War
  • 1867: Alaska purchased from Russia
  • 1981: Ronald Reagan shot by John Hinckley
  • 1984: Policeman offers waitress half of a lottery ticket as a tip--they share $6 million and a movie is made
  • 1997: Lady Vols win 5th National Championship
  • 2020: Virginia, Maryland, Florida and Arizona lock down due to Covid
  • Born: Maimonides [Jewish philosopher], Robert Bunsen [Bunsen Burner], Anna Sewell ["Black Beauty"], Van Gogh, Frankie Laine, Ingvar Kamprad [founded Ikea], Warren Beatty, Jerry Lucas, Eric Clapton, Paul Reiser, MC Hamer, Celine Dion, Secretariat, 
  • Died: James Cagney, Queen Elizabeth [Queen Mother], Alistar Cooke, Dith Pran ["The Killing Fields"]
Some of the quotes from Maimonides:
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
    The risk of a wrong decision is preferable to the terror of indecision
    Anticipate charity by preventing poverty
    Teach thy tongue to say "I don't know" and thou shall progress

Thought:
During Passion Week, the followers of Jesus were spending this day as the Sabbath. The day before the resurrection was the day God set aside for rest. Today I am looking at a passage which occurs on Easter morning--Luke 24:5-6. "Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but He has risen." 

Now, think about the first question--why? Why are you here with things to anoint a dead body? We do not have the answers to the angels question. What would you have said:
  • Well, when Jesus was telling us about this, I really wasn't paying attention. Matthew 20:17-19 Jesus told them what would happen before they got to Jerusalem. 
  • Well, I heard what Jesus said, but I forgot.
  • Well, I heard what Jesus said, but I just couldn't believe it was true. 
Sounds like Larry. Jesus has spoken to me in His word. He has made promises. He has told me what is going to happen in the future. Will I be surprised when He keeps His promises, when what He told me actually happens. I find myself just like those who came to the tomb---afraid [Matthew 28:10], trembling and astonished [Mark 16:8], think it's nonsense [Luke 24:11], don't understand [John 20:9]. The Lord says to me this morning--Larry pay attention to what the word says; don't forget what the word says; believe what the word says. Every word is true and every promise will be fulfilled.

Think about those second words for a moment. If CNN or Fox News or one of the major networks was on the scene reporting, what would the talking heads say. Here the most important event in history is reported by angels--no trumpets, no fireworks, no press conference, no interviews, no celebration. HE IS RISEN. That's it. That's the story. That's the announcement. Those three words change everything---death is defeated, Jesus is victorious and we are invited to share in the victory. Maybe we should start the day by singing "Victory in Jesus, my Savior forever, He sought me and bought me with His redeeming blood. He loved 'ere I knew Him and all my love is due Him, He plunged me to victory beneath the cleansing flood." 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024