Thought for February 29, 2024

  •  1692: First people accused of witchcraft in Salem
  • 1904: Theodore Roosevelt appoints Panama Canal Commission to complete the canal
  • 1940: Hattie McDaniel is first African American to win an Oscar--"Gone with the Wind"
  • 1952: Dick Button wins his fifth straight world title in figure skating
  • 1960: First "Playboy Club" opens in Chicago
  • 1980: Gordie Howe is first NHL player to score 800 goals
  • Born: Rossini, Ann Lee [founded Shakers], William Harvey Carney [first black soldier to be awarded the Medal of Honor], Tony Robbins, 
  • Died: Melvin Purvis, Davy Jones, Pat Garrett [lawman]
Thought:
Well, here we are on a date that only comes around every four years. If I had only been born on the 29th, I'd be looking forward to my 20th birthday. We all know the reason for the 29th--our 365-day calendar and the earth's rotation around the sun get out of sync. Makes me wonder if I need to set aside a day to get back in sync with the Lord. Over time, do I slowly get slightly out of sync with His thoughts, His will, His commands. Do I need to realign myself with Him? Just a thought this morning.

Yesterday I ended with the fact that Jesus is our hope (Colossians 1:23). Paul expands on this in 1:25-29. 
Paul tells us that in Christ, God has revealed a mystery---Christ in us, our hope of glory. As I think about this today, I understand anew---without Jesus, there is no hope, there is no glory. Without Jesus there is nothing. It tells me that I have the promise of glory only in Him---that is, the glory I will experience is not for Larry, but for Larry in Christ. It is His glory, it is His majesty, it is His kingdom---I get to experience it in Him and because of Him. 

We recently had a football game to end the pro season. We call it the "Super Bowl." Know why? After the NFL-AFL merger and the agreement to play a championship game, a name was needed. Lamar Hunt, the owner of the Kansas City Chiefs suggested Super Bowl because of a popular toy, the super ball. Well, Kansas City is champion again. If I was asked to stand on that podium with the team with the confetti flying around, I would be experiencing their glory--not mine. In Christ, I share His glory, not mine. So He is my hope of glory----because He is glorified and because I am in Him, He is my hope of glory. 

Now what does that tell me about how I should approach today---I live for His glory. As Paul says in 1:28, I proclaim His glory. Why? So that every person may know Him and share in His glory. What will I do today to proclaim His glory? Who will I tell of His love, grace, mercy? How will I share His love? Look at 1:29---not through my wisdom, strength, power, but through His. So the question is will I allow Him to work mightily through me to proclaim the mystery---Christ in you, your hope of glory. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024