Thought for February 27, 2024

  • Corrections from yesteday--Tom Landry fired in 1988; Grand Teton NP founded in 1929 
  • 1670: Jews expelled from Austria
  • 1693: First women's magazine---"Ladies Mercury of London"
  • 1813: First federal vaccination legislation
  • 1814: Beethoven's Eighth premiers
  • 1827: First Mardi Gras in New Orleans
  • 1872: Charlotte Ray is the first African American lawyer in the U.S.
  • 1879: Saccharin discovered
  • 1940: Carbon 14 discovered [carbon dating]
  • 1951: 22nd Amendment ratified--limits President to 2 terms
  • 1974: First "People Magazine"
  • 1981: Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder record "Ebony and Ivory"
  • 1996: First appearance of Pokemon in a video game
  • 2020: Dow has largest point loss in history--1,190.95 points
  • Born: Constantine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Hugo Black, William Demarest ["My Three Sons"], Marian Anderson, Gene Sarazen, John Steinbeck, Joan Bennett, John Connally [Texas Governor], Joanne Woodward, Elizabeth Taylor, Raymond Berry, Ralph Nader, Tony Gonzales, Josh Groban, Judi Adkisson
  • Died: Francis Marion [The Swamp Fox], Louis Vuitton, Ivan Pavlov, Henry Louis Smith [made first x-ray photograph], Adriano Olivetti, Pat Brady [Roy Rogers Show], Fred Rogers, William F Buckley, Duke Snider, Van Cliburn, Leonard Nimoy
William Kirkpatrick was born on this day in 1838. He wrote the tunes for "Jesus Saves," "Tis' So Sweet to Trust in Jesus," "Redeemed, How I Love to Proclaim It," and "He Hideth My Soul." During an evangelistic meeting, he became burdened for the unsaved, paid soloist. As he prayed, words came to his mind:
I've wondered far away from God, now I'm coming home
The paths of sin too long I've trod, Lord, I'm coming home
Coming home, coming home, never more to roam
Open wide Thine arms of love, Lord, I'm coming home

He gave the song to the soloist, who was moved and stayed for the sermon---he was saved that night. 

Thought:
Our pastor is doing a series of sermons on the book of Colossians. He started in January and will finish before Easter. His sermons have drawn me back to this book over the last several weeks. This morning I am soaking in Paul's prayer for the church in 1:9-12. I am thinking about what would happen if we prayed this prayer for each other every day or perhaps prayed it for our church everyday, or maybe pray this prayer for myself every day. 

Lord, today may I and help me to
  • Be filled with the knowledge of Your will. Think about that. If His will permeated my life. His will became fully my will. 
  • Have spiritual wisdom and understanding. In knowing His will, I become wise. In knowing His will I gain understanding about who He is and who I am.
  • Walk in a worthy manner. Worthy of who He is and worthy of who I claim to be in Him. This verse always reminds me of the end of the movie "Saving Private Ryan." "Live a life worthy of those that died to save you."
  • Bear fruit in every good work. Let my life reflect the fruit of the Spirit--love joy, peace, gentleness, patience, kindness, self-control. And let me plant seeds, wanter plants, be present when He harvests. 
  • Growing in the knowledge of God. Move on from the milk to solid food. Mature into Christ. Grow more like Him every day. 
  • Strengthened with His power. Not relying on my strength. Acknowledging my weaknesses. Understanding that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me and that without His strength, I am helpless. Allowing His strength to give me endurance for the day, patience for the hour, and joy in everything. He has told me to rejoice always---help me live a life of joy in Him.
  • Always thankful for the gift of Jesus and the promise of an inheritance. There is no inheritance without a death. Jesus died to buy and guarantee my inheritance. Help me to live a life of gratitude for His unspeakable gift. 
Now that is a good way to start a day. Lord, help this prayer stay in my thoughts as I encounter various trials and temptations today. 

Blessings
Larry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024