Thought for February 21. 2024

  • 1804: First locomotive runs in Wales
  • 1848: Marx and Engels publish the "Communist Manifesto"
  • 1878: First telephone directory [New Harbor Connecticut [50 subscribers]
  • 1916: Battle of Verdun
  • 1972: Nixon is first President to visit China
  • Born: Santa Ana, Hubert de Givenchy, Nina Simone, Alan Rickman, 
  • Died: James I, Anne Frank, Malcolm X, Tim Horton
Thought:
Reading in Ecclesiastes again this morning--5:1-9. Solomon gives some good counsel in chapters 5-6. Here is what the Lord says to me this morning from these verses:
  • 5:1--Walk carefully, prudently. The New Testament is full of commandments concerning our walk with the Lord. 
    • Walk by the Spirit [Galatians 5:16-25] Don't walk by the flesh, walk by and in the Spirit. This passage speaks of the fleshly walk [19-21] and the Spirit filled and guided walk [22-23]. Solomon had the same thing in mind.
    • Walk worthy of your calling [Ephesians 4:1; 1 Thessalonians 2:12]. The following verses tell me what a worthy walk looks like--humbly, gently, patiently. 
    • Walk in love [Ephesians 5:1]. Walking is love is a sacrificial walk---setting aside my desires for His and for the good of others. 
    • Walk as children of the light [Ephesians 5:8]. If we walk in the light as He is in the light we have fellowship with him. If I want fellowship with God, I need to walk in the light of His word and Word. 
  • 5:1--Draw near to listen. Wow! When I draw near to God is it to ask for something or to hear from Him.
  • 5:1--Don't offer foolish sacrifices. Have you ever thought about the sacrifices you make for the Lord. When I read that I am thinking money. Then I recall the widow's mite--the measurement was not the amount of money she gave but her willingness to give all. 
  • 5:2-6---Don't make hasty vows and listen don't talk. Have you ever thought about all those promises you made to God when you were desperate for His help. Lord if You will only------ then I will always or I will never do that again. God keeps His promises--He expects the same of me. 
  • 5:8--Expect oppression. James would say, do not be surprised when you encounter various trials. If  I am walking in the Spirit, walking worthy of my calling in Christ, walking in love, and walking in the light, I should expect opposition. 
Lord, let me walk in Your light, Your love, Your calling. 
Blessings

Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024