Thought for February 14, 2024

  •  1876: Alexander Graham Bell patents the telephone
  • 1924: Thomas Watson renames the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company as International Business Machines [IBM]
  • 1929: St. Valentine's Day massacre in Chicago
  • 1931: The original "Dracula" film with Bela Lugosi released
  • 1971: Nixon installs a secret taping system in the White House
  • 1978: First "micro on a chip" patented by Texas Instruments
  • 1984: Torvill and Dean win Olympic Gold skating to Ravel's "Bolero"
  • Born: Frederick Douglas, Jack Benny, Mickey Wright [Golf], Teller [Penn & Teller]
  • Died: Richard II, James Cook, Willaim Blackstone, William Tecumseh Sherman, 
Thought: 
A couple of years ago, I wrote a thought about Valentine's Day on February 13--the 14th fell on a Sunday. Joe Cimino placed a poem on Facebook for Janice's birthday back in January. Made me think of this thought. I think it is still appropriate so with minor modifications, here it is:

Did you get a card, flowers, candy, dinner? When you picked the card, what did it say? Have you ever written a love poem to someone---maybe you wrote it but never sent it. I am not a poet, but I always liked Elizabeth Barrett Browning's "How Do I Love Thee." 

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach,
when feeling out of sight for the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's most quiet need,by sun and candle light.
I love the freely, as men strive for right,
I love the purely, as they turn from praise, I love thee with the passion put to use in my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose with my lost saints.
I love thee with the breath, smiles, tears, of all my life; and if God choose, I shall but love thee better after death."

Have you ever thought about writing a love letter to Jesus? What would it say? How could you express that love? Could we take a cue from 1 Corinthians 13:
  • Jesus, I love you because You first loved me.
  • I love You because You are so patient with me---You loved me when I was rebelling. You love me when I mess up.
  • I love You because of Your lovingkindness--Psalm 136
  • I love You for the mircale of life, eternal, abundant life.
  • I love You for the creation You made for us. I see Your loving hand in its beauty and complexity.
  • I love You when I sit and look at the stars and think about all the worlds Thy hands have made.
  • I love You when the rain falls, the grass grows, the flowers bloom.
  • I love You for grace---amazing, saving grace.
  • I love You for tender mercy---how gently You care for me.
  • I love You for Your perfect plan---even when I don't understand it.
  • I love You for Your exceeding power and strength.
  • I love You for Your unchanging character.
  • I love You for the joy that flows regardless of circumstances.
  • I love You for Your peace that I cannot comprehend, but it is the resting place for all my worries and doubts
  • I love You because You chose me.
  • I love You because You will never leave me.
  • I love You for inviting me to the Paradise we call heaven.
  • How do I love Thee---let me count the ways.
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024