Thought for January 5, 2024

  •  1886: "Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" published
  • 1914: Ford raises wages from $4.00 for a 9 hour day to $5.00 for an 8 hour day
  • 1930: Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow meet for the first time
  • 1933: Work on the Golden Gate Bridge begins
  • 1969: Credence Clearwater Revival releases album with "Proud Mary"
  • 2020: First SARS-CoV-2 genome map published allowing COVID-19 to be identified
  • Born: Zebulon Pike, King Gillette, Herbert Swope [coined "cold war"], Jeane Dixon, George Reeves, Jane Wyman, Sam Phillips [founded Sun Records], Walter Mondale, Alvin Alley, Robert Duvall, Chuck Noll, Diane Keaton, Bradley Cooper
  • Died: Felix Manz [drowned for re-baptizing adults], Kathleen Kenyon [excavated Jericho], Ernest Shackleton, Calvin Coolidge, George Washington Carver, Rogers Hornsby, Pete Maravich, Tip O'Neill, Sonny Bono
Thought:

Still thinking about the word "new" this morning. Read Ephesians 4:20-24 with me today. In 2024, Paul urges me to "put on the new self." Notice that before putting on the new self, Paul reminds me that I must lay aside my old self [4:22]. So this morning I am thinking about those old self things from 2023 that I need to lay aside. Paul gives us some suggestions:
  • Lay aside falsehood [4:25] Certainly this means to put aside lying and speaking truth. Most of us do not have a problem with direct lies--but my problem is with half-truths, shading the truth, exaggerating, overstating for my benefit. And laying aside falsehood means that I live the truth--my outward appearance, speech and conduct match what I claim to be my inward condition---a Christian. 
  • Don't let anger turn to sin [4:26] Don't let anger turn to hate; don't let anger grow inside until it breaks out in action; don't let anger result in wishing evil on others or have me plotting revenge. Douse the heat of anger with love, forgiveness, grace and mercy.
  • Lay aside stealing [4:28] Certainly this means not to take the property of others; but it may also mean stealing joy or peace from others, stealing hope from others, stealing self-worth from others. Do I steal by putting down someone, criticizing others, make fun of others, teasing others. Do my actions or words steal security and comfort from others. Do my spouse and children feel like I have stolen my time, my attention from them? 
  • Lay aside unwholesome words. [4:29]. Think about that. If the only words from my mouth in 2024 were wholesome how would it change me, my family, my friends, my witness. Interesting that the word here is "unwholesome." Wholesome words lead to good health, spiritually, emotionally and physically. In 2024, may all my words be wholesome--for me and for everyone that hears them.
Paul tells us to be kind and tender-hearted, forgiving each other. [4:32] That is the new self for 2024. Chapter 5 continues with other things to lay aside and directions on how to walk in the Lord. Perhaps it is all summarized with 5:1--Imitate God like a child imitates a parent. Lord, in 2024 let their be a family resemblance between me and the Father. In chapter 3 of Colossians, Paul gives similar advice about putting aside the old and putting on the new. In 3:10, he says "put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him." Our goal for 2024 is to be conformed to the image of the One who created us--how? By the transformation only He can do. And Paul gives another list of what we should put on this year--compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, forgiveness. [3:12-14]

Now I have a lot to get done this year--a lot of the old self to crucify with Christ and a lot of the new self to allow the Holy Spirit to create in me. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024