Thought for January 26, 2024

  •  1482: Pentateuch first published as a book
  • 1784: Ben Franklin is disappointed that the eagle is selected as the national symbol
  • 1838: Tennessee passes the first prohibition law in the US
  • 1875: Electric dental drill patented
  • 1906: The Church of God denomination convenes its first General Assembly in Cleveland TN
  • 1907: First federal law on corrupt election practices enacted
  • 1915: Rocky Mountain National Park established
  • 1926: First demonstration of the television
  • 1960: Pete Rozelle becomes NFL Commissioner on the 23rd ballot
  • 1998: President Clinton says, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." 
  • Born: Mary Mapes Dodge ["Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates"], Douglas MacArthur, Bindo Maserati, Maria von Trapp, Louis Zamperini ["Unbroken"], Paul Newman, Bob Uecker, Scott Glenn, Gene Siskel, Eddie Van Halen, Ellen Degeneres, Wayne Gretzky
  • Died: Edward Jenner [smallpox], Peter Marshall, Nelson Rockefeller, Bear Bryant, Barbara Hale, Michel Legrand [composer], Kobe Bryant
Thought:
There is a question that Jesus asks in one of His miracles that always causes me to stop and think, examine, search my heart. Jesus has the power and the desire to cleanse me, heal me , transform me. But the question is do I really want that. When we think about our homeless problem, I often hear that some of the people living on the streets do not want help, they want to live on the streets. We offer them a place to live, but they like living on the streets. I wonder sometimes if that is the way I am with the Lord--He is ready and willing to help me, strengthen me, mold me, but I like things the way they are. Look at a familiar story from John 5:1-9. 

Sick and infirm gathered around the Pool of Bethesda. The legend was that angels might stir the water and the first into the pool was healed. Sitting beside the pool was a man who had been sick for 38 years. Now this is an interesting number. Think back to the children of Israel leaving Egypt and heading for the promised land. After two years, the spies went out and the people refused to follow the lead of Caleb and Joshua. So they wandered in the wilderness for 38 years until all the generation died except Caleb and Joshua. I'm not sure if the Lord intended a connection here, but the man who has been waiting to enter the pool of healing for 38 years finally is healed by Jesus.

Today, though, I am looking at the question Jesus asks this man--"do you wish to get well?" The man never answers the question, but instead tells Jesus all the reasons why he has not been healed. Does Jesus ever ask you, do you really want to be free of that habit, attitude, sin? We often ask that question to those who have an addiction--do you really want to get well? Or we might say it to someone who is having a struggle with rehab--if your really want to get well, you need to do the rehab, follow the doctor's orders, take your medicine. 

Sometimes I think Jesus asks me, Larry do you really want to mature in Christ? If so, what are you willing to do, give up, change? Jesus may ask our church that---you say you want to reach the lost--really? What are you willing to do, change, give up, sacrifice? And maybe like the man, I simply start listing excuses.

Lord, we are weak. Help us, increase our faith, give us courage, patience and hearts like Yours. 

Blessings
Larry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024