Thought for January 20, 2024

  •  1801: John Marshall appointed Chief Justice
  • 1887: Senate approves naval base lease at Pearl Harbor
  • 1930: First radio broadcast of "The Lone Ranger"
  • 1937: First Presidential inauguration on January 20
  • 1942: Wannsee Conference organizes the final solution for the Jews
  • 1968: Peggy Fleming wins US Figure Skating Championship
  • 1981: Tehran hostages released
  • 1986: First federal holiday honoring Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • 1987: Terry Waite taken hostage in Beirut
  • 2008: "Breaking Bad" premiers
  • Born: George Burns, Joy Adamson, De Forest Kelley, Federico Fellini, Patricia Neal, Arte Johnson, Buzz Aldrin, Carol Heiss Jenkins [4 time World and 1960 Olympic Figure Skating Gold Medalist], Bill Maher, Nikki Haley, Jalen Rose, Nick Foles
  • Died: Miles Coverdale [Bible translator], Johnny Weissmuller, Barbara Stanwyck, Audrey Hepburn, Etta James
Thought:
Finishing the week with the interrupted miracle recorded in Mark 5:21-43. A synagogue official named Jairus had come to Jesus asking Him to come and heal his 12 year-old daughter. Interesting that he asks Jesus to lay hands on her while the centurion said, just speak the word. Maybe this is why Jesus said of the centurion that He had not seen such faith in Israel. On the way, Jesus has the encounter with the woman with the issue of blood. Wonder how Jairus reacted to Jesus stopping. Knowing Larry, I would have been impatient, maybe even angry with the woman. How dare she interfere with what Jesus is doing for me. I am a synagogue official, she is simply a woman. Sometimes I get irritated if the pastor or staff do not respond to my call, email immediately. Who could be more important than me? Whose need could be more pressing? Forgive me Lord for ever questioning Your timing and response. Help me humble myself. Fill me with gentleness and kindness and patience. 

Well, the woman is healed and bad news follows. Jesus paused on the way and now word comes that my daughter is dead. If only that woman had not stopped us. If Jesus had just kept walking. But think about it--if Jairus had said Jesus speak the word and my daughter would be well--maybe his lack of faith was the problem. In any event, Jesus has a solution--don't fear, believe. WOW! If I could only get that in my head and heart--don't fear, believe. Faith drives out fear. 

They arrive at the house to quite a scene--weeping and wailing--the mourning had begun. Then Jesus asks, what's going on? The child is not dead. Notice the reaction--laughing. Jesus goes to the girl and says the same thing He said to the paralytic--arise. The same thing He said to the widow's son--arise. And one day for those in Jesus, He will say arise on that great getting up morning. And we will meet Him in the air. She answers His command and walks. Who is laughing now? The scoffers are astounded. 

Lord, help me trust you even when others are laughing at my faith. When others doubt, help my unbelief. You turn mourning into joy. Come today and restore the joy of my salvation. I listen for Your command--my answer is YES.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024