Thought for January 13, 2024

  •  1501: First hymnbook not in Latin published in Prague with 89 hymns
  • 1695: Jonathan Swift ordained as Anglican priest
  • 1733: James Oglethorpe and 130 colonists arrive at Charleston
  • 1785: First issue of the Times of London
  • 1920: NY Times editorial reports that rockets can never fly--don't believe everything you read unless you are reading the Bible
  • 1930: Mickey Mouse comic strip first appears
  • 1938: Church of England accepts the theory of evolution
  • 1962: "The Twist" by Chubby Checker is #1
  • 1966: Robert Weaver is first black to serve in the Cabinet
  • 1978: NASA selects the first women astronauts
  • 1979: YMCA sues over the Village Peoples song "YMCA"
  • 1982: Air Florida 737 crashes into the 14th Street Bridge and we watch witnesses jump into the icy Potomac to rescue survivors--78 die
  • Born: Samuel P Chase, Alfred Fuller [Fuller Brush], Robert Stack, Charles Nelson Reilly, Billy Gray ["Father Knows Best"], Bob Baffert [Horse trainer], Mark O'Meara, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Trace Adkins, Patrick Dempsey, Orlando Bloom, Liam Hemsworth
  • Died: Edmund Spenser, George Fox [founded Society of Friends], Stephen Foster, Wyatt Earp, James Joyce, Ernie Kovacs, Hubert Humphrey, 
Thought:
The last miracle I am studying this week is a restored ear. Luke 22, 50-51. Jesus is in the garden. He has prayed for the cup to be removed by the Father, but prayed for the Father's will to be done. He has found His disciples sleeping while He was sweating blood in prayer. And now Judas and the soldiers arrive. The disciples had two swords [22:38] and apparently, Peter had one of them. Peter cuts off the ear of Malchus, a slave of the high priest. Jesus responds--"Stop. No more of this." Then he heals, reattaches the ear. Here are some thoughts that come to my mind.
  • The disciples were using the wrong swords. In Ephesians, we are told to put on the entire armor of God. And the weapon is the sword of the word. Reminds me that my battle is not against flesh and blood. This year may I use the sword of the word to fight my battles. 
  • The disciples asked Jesus about using the swords [22:49] but Peter acted before Jesus responded. Sounds like me. I pray and ask the Lord for wisdom, guidance, a solution, then I go ahead and act before Jesus tells me what to do. I get impatient and don't wait upon the Lord. This year may I wait for the Lord and follow His commands.
  • Peter chose the weakest member of the crowd. A slave would be unarmed. There were soldiers with swords he could have challenged. Sounds like Larry. I need to understand the real enemy. sometimes I attack people who are lost when the real enemy is Satan himself. Sort of like attacking the messenger. Even at home, I may lash out at Jan when I'm the problem. At church, I may blame a staff member when the issue is a spiritual one. Lord help me understand the real enemy and oppose him. 
  • Malchus did not ask to be healed. Jesus just healed. What does this tell me about His love and grace. Jesus may heal anyone--not just Christians. His love and grace extends to man. Maybe Jesus protects a soldier in the battle to give him more chances to find Jesus. Maybe Jesus heals to draw someone to him. The Savior is filled with love and His healing may extend to many who are lost. 
  • People see the love and grace of God in Christ and His followers, but the world may not respond. The soldiers and priests seized Jesus and tried and killed Him. As His followers, the world may not accept our love, grace, concern and may attack us. Lord, help me react to every situation just like you did.
This year--use the right sword at the right time, make sure you are fighting the right enemy, and expect people may react to your love and grace with anger, contempt, or rejection. But keep on loving and sharing. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024