Thought for December 28, 2023

  •  1065: Westminster Abbey consecrated [unfinished]
  • 1612: First observation of Neptune--Galileo thought it was a star
  • 1849: Dry cleaning discovered when a lamp containing turpentine and oil spills
  • 1869: Chewing gum patented
  • 1905: Intercollegiate Athletic Association founded [NCAA in 1910]
  • 1945: Congress officially recognizes the Pledge of Allegiance
  • 1958: "Greatest Game Ever Played"--Colts beat Giants in first sudden-death game [17 future HOF players participate]
  • 1973: Nixon signs Endangered Species Act
  • 1973: Solzhenitsyn published "Gulag Archipelago"
  • 1975: First time a pass is called "Hail Mary"--Staubach to Pearson with 32 seconds left
  • 2012: Putin bans adoption of Russian children by Americans
  • Born: Woodrow Wilson, Stan Lee, Maggie Smith, Denzel Washington, Seth Myers, John Legend
  • Died: Rob Roy, Maurice Revel, Bela Schick [Schick Test], Harry Winston, Denis Wilson [Beach Boys], William Demarest ["My Three Sons"], Jimmy Demaret, Clayton Moore [Lone Ranger], Susan Sontag, Debbie Reynolds, Rose Marie, Dick Van Dyke, 
Thought:
Continuing to look at chapter 3 of Philippians --The Goal of Life for 2024. Today looking at 3:8. What should be my goal for 2024--Consider all things rubbish compared with knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.

What should I value most in 2024?  Mike Glenn used to say that Satan broke into the jewelry store and rearranged the price tags so that the things of real value appeared cheap and the things of no value appeared to be costly and prized. Sound like the world today? A professional athlete is paid $25 million to be a quarterback, or $50 million to play basketball. Taylor Swift concerts generate a billion dollars. And teachers are paid little and we worry about what percentage of our church budget goes to pay our staff. Military families need food stamps.

What should I place the highest value on in 2024? If I kept a time record of what I did every day, what would it show that I valued. If I analyzed my checkbook, what would it say about the things I value. I say I love Jesus, I love my family, I love my church---would the time and financial records verify this? I spend time with those I really love--do the time records show Jesus. Jan, my family and friends at the top of the list or do television, sports, politics, other things come first? 

And what does it mean to treasure knowing Jesus? Do I fill my days with knowing about Jesus--recite scripture, know all the facts--or do I fill my days with knowing Him. Look at 3:8 again--there is a connection. I have to count everything else as garbage that I may gain Christ. He demands priority, first place. This is consistent with dying to self that He can live in me. This speaks of me being less so that He can be more. 

What's the goal of life for 2024--value the right things in the right order. Is it more important to have the praise of men or the well done of Jesus? Do my life choices reflect the values I profess? 

Lord, help me value the things you value and consider as rubbish all things that keep me from knowing and experiencing You fully. 

Blessings
Larry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024