Thought for December 14, 2023

  •  1900: Max Planck presents a theoretical derivation of his radiation law beginning the study of quantum physics
  • 1901: First table tennis tournament
  • 1903: Wright Brothers make first attempt at Kitty Hawk
  • 1911: Roald Amundsen beats Robert Falcon Scott to the South Pole
  • 1916: America's first board certified doctors--ophthamalogists---certified at UT Medical School Memphis
  • 1947: NASCAR founded at DAytona Beach
  • 1961: Jimmy Dean's "Big Bad John" is first country record to get Gold Record
  • 1981: Israel annexes the Golan Heights
  • 2012: 28 people shot at Sandy Hook Elementary School
  • Born: Nostradamus, Tycho Brahe, Jimmy Doolittle, Spike Jones, Charlie Rich, Lee Remick, Ernie Davis, Stan Smith, Bill Buckner, 
  • Died: Vlad the Impaler, George Washington, George Gipp, John Harvey Kellogg, Dinah Washington, Roger Maris, Myrna Loy, Peter O'Toole, Bess Myerson, 
Sorry I  missed a couple of days. Spent Monday night through last night in the ER with Afib. In rhythm this morning. God is so good and so faithful. Lying in the ER watching litter after litter roll by my door--how broken is our world and how much people need Jesus. There were no rooms in the hospital so I stayed in the ER. Watching the sick and injured and then watching the doctors and nurses overwhelmed with the load, I thought about how our Father must look down and see the hurt and brokenness, then see His children working to bring healing and wholeness by ministering in the name of Jesus. Challenged me to do more. 

Thought:
Monday,  I was thinking about Christmas lights. I reflected on Jesus as the Light of the world. I quoted from Isaiah 9. Looking to Christmas this morning I am back in Isaiah 9. We often say that a person was born "for such a time as this." Or we may watch a child grow up and think that she was created just for the position or career she is following--made to be a teacher, nurse, doctor, mother. Or we may look at our child or grandchild and think--what is his destiny--what is the plan of his life. Sometimes we say, "she is a natural leader." Or we may look at a young man and say, "he was born to be a linebacker." Read Isaiah 9:6-7 with me today.

Judah was in a situation. Judah had been asked to join the northern kingdom in a war with Assyria. When Judah refused, Damascus and Samaria came to attack Jerusalem. In chapter 8, God tells Isaiah that these northern kingdoms will fall. Then in chapter 9 God tells Isaiah that He has a plan for the salvation and prosperity of Judah. As usual, God's way is not our way. His solution--a child will be born. We think we need a warrior king, a mighty soldier, someone to fight our enemy right now. God says, a child will be born. As I read Isaiah, perhaps the theme is how God does things His way---I want a warrior, He send a Savior. I want a mighty fighter, He sends a suffering servant. So I learn again--not by might and not by power but by My Spirit says the Lord of Hosts. 

We are all familiar with the names given to Jesus in these verses. As I think about them again this morning, I am reminded that God gives us what He knows we need--not what I think I need. So what do these names tell me about what God knows I need. 
  • I need someone to carry the load, so God says the government will be on His shoulders. Jesus says take My yoke for it is light. Jesus says come to Me if you are burdened and heavy ladened. The weight of sin that I carry is too much--so God send someone who can carry His cross with my sin. 
  • I need a guide, a counselor, someone to lead me and direct me--a Wonderful Counselor. God knows that my ways are not His ways--so He sends a perfect example to show me the way and His Holy Spirit to teach, guide, remind me of all that Jesus said.
  • I need power to resist the evil one and strength for the day, so God sends a Mighty God to give me strength and power. 
  • I need someone who will always be with me, so God sends someone who is from eternity to eternity. He is my permanent and eternal God.
  • I need peace, so God sends the Prince of Peace to restore my relationship with Him and give me the peace that passes all understanding. 
As we approach Christmas, remember that Jesus was born for such a time as this---whatever you are facing, whatever, you need--Jesus was born for a time such as this.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024