Thought for November 11, 2023

Happy Veterans Day! Thank you to all who served. 
  •  1620: Mayflower Compact signed
  • 1647: First compulsory school attendance law in America--Massachusetts
  • 1750: First college fraternity formed in Williamsburg Virginia
  • 1793: William Carey lands in India to begin his missionary career
  • 1807: Washington Irving is the first to associate NYC with Gotham
  • 1865: Mary Edward Walker awarded the Medal of Honor--Army's first female surgeon
  • 1909: Construction of a naval base at Pearl Harbor begins
  • 1918: Armistice Day--11th hour, 11 day, 11th month
  • 1921: Tomb of the Unknown Soldier dedicated
  • 1926: Route 66 established
  • 1933: First great dust storm in the Great Plains
  • 1938: Kate Smith sings "God Bless America" for the first time
  • 1940: Willys unveils the Jeep
  • 1961: "Catch-22 " published
  • 1972: Dow Jones moves above 1,000 for the first time
  • Born: Dostoyevsky, George Patton, Kurt Vonnegut, 
  • Died: Nat Turner, Soren Kierkegaard, David Lipscomb, Typhoid Mary, Alexander Calder, Yasser Arafat
Thought:
Thinking about the truth about love. Back in my youth, there was a song called, "I will follow Him," sung by a 14 year-old named Peggy March. Back then, she was called Little Peggy March. Later Petula Clark sang it and it was a hit in the movie "Sister Act." The music had originally been written by Paul Mauriat who would have an instrumental hit with "Love is Blue." You might recall the lyrics:

I will follow him, follow him wherever he may go and near him, I will always be for nothing can keep me away, he is my destiny

I will follow him, ever since he touched my heart I knew, there isn't an ocean too deep, a mountain so high it can keep, keep me away, away from his love.

I love him! I love him! I love him! and where he goes I'll follow! I'll follow! I'll follow!

Now read 1 John 4:7-21 where I have bracketed and underlined several verses. Here is the real truth about love:

  • God is love. Love originates nowhere else. Anything we call love that does not originate with God is not love.
  • Love is from God. I cannot love unless God gives me love to share.
  • Love is evidence that we know God because there is no place to get love except God.
  • God made love evident by sending Jesus--and by living through Him we experience love and are conduits of love.
  • God loved us first.
  • Faith is believing that God loves us and sent Jesus to pay for our sins.
  • I cannot say God abides in me and I abide in Him unless I love. 
  • There is no fear in love--knowing that God loves us, we have no fear.
  • If we love God, we will love our brothers and sisters. 
Back to Little Peggy March--If I love Him, I will follow Him wherever He leads, wherever He goes--He is my destiny. Nothing can separate me from His love. And knowing that He loves me and I love Him, I can love, no, I must love my brothers and sisters. 

Sounds so simple. Lord help us know Your love and share Your love today.

Blessings
Larry

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024