Thought for October 4, 2023

  •  1537: First publication of a complete English-language Bible. Matthew's Bible translated by William Tyndale and Miles Coverdale
  • 1582: Spain and Portugal adopt the Gregorian Calendar--skip 10 days so tomorrow will be October 15
  • 1883: First official run of the Orient Express
  • 1927: Gutzon Borglum begins sculpting Mt. Rushmore [finishes in 1941]
  • 1957: Soviets launch Sputnik 1
  • 2006: WikiLeaks launched by Julian Assange
  • Born: Rutherford B. Hayes, Damon Runyon, Buster Keaton, Charlton Heston, Anne Rice, Susan Sarandon
  • Died: Rembrandt, Frederic Bartholdi, Janis Joplin, Secretariat, Loretta Lynn
Thought:
Today I am looking at a passage we all know, James 1:21-25. Two related concepts here.
  • Put aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness. This reminds me that confessing, repenting, changing requires affirmative action on my part. I have to lay aside, cast off, remove the old sins of self. They do not go away without effort, intentionality on my part. And I am struck by the fact that James emphasizes ALL. I want to get cleaner, not clean. I want to get purer, not pure. I want to be like ivory--99.44% pure, but not 100%. I want to compare myself to you and feel good, not compare myself to Jesus and see my filthy rags. 
  • Receive the word with humility. Interesting. The word is there, I know it. I must receive and accept it for it to be effective in my life. And I receive it with humility--it is God's word, it is for my good, and without Him I am unworthy even to receive it. And I also must not stop with just putting aside evil, for if I do not replace it with the indwelling word, the evil will return. So I die to self and live for Him by receiving Him and His word.
  • Now, I have put off evil and received the word, what evidence do I produce to show the truth of my confession? I become a doer of the word. Interesting--in John's Gospel it says the Word became flesh and dwelt among us and we beheld His glory. For a believer, the Word lives in our flesh and the world beholds His glory through us. How do we keep doing the word? Read verses 23-25. We constantly look at the Author and Perfecter of our faith--we look intently at the perfect law--Jesus lived the law perfectly so we conform to His words, His thoughts, His actions--we do what He did and become doers of the word. And we have the promise--a doer will be blessed in what he does. [1:25]
Want to be blessed today? Be a doer of the word, putting aside evil, receiving the indwelling Word. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024