Thought for October 3, 2023

  •  1863: Lincoln designates last Thursday in November as Thanksgiving
  • 1872: Bloomingdale's opens in NYC
  • 1908: Leon Trotsky founds "Pravda"
  • 1913: U.S. Income Tax Law signed by Woodrow Wilson [1%]
  • 1941: "Maltese Falcon" premiers
  • 1951: Bobby Thompson hits the shot heard round the world as Giants beat the Dodgers
  • 1954: "Father Knows Best" premiers
  • 1955: "Captain Kangaroo" and "Mickey Mouse Club" premier
  • 1995: OJ Simpson found not guilty of murder. On this date in 2008 found guilty of kidnapping and armed robbery
  • 2003: Roy Horn [Siegfried and Roy] attacked by tiger.
  • Born: Thomas Wolfe, James Herriot, Gore Vidal, Ken Berry, Chubby Checker, Dave Winfield, Al Sharpton, Fred Couples, Gwen Stefani
  • Died: Cassius, Francis of Assisi, Myles Standish, Elias Howe [sewing machine], John Heisman, Woody Guthrie, Harriet Nelson, Janet Leigh
Thought:
Reading James 1:20-21 today. Two short verses packed with wisdom I need to hear and heed. Notice:
  • James says we already know this [1:20]. This reminds me that my problem is almost never figuring out the right thing to do, it is doing the right thing. I know the truth, living the truth is the issue. So here again, James tells us that this is not something new--we know that the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God. WOW! Have you ever made a record of those things that made you angry in a day? I got in the shower and find that my bride has removed the soap. Get out wet and try to find it. I start my commute and a driver cuts me off or refuses to let me in. I have mental road rage. I get to church and I am unfamiliar with the songs, my head hurts and stomach churns. O, that's just my day. You have your own issues. Larry, think about what makes you angry--is any of it really important? Yes, some important things make me angry, but not enough right things.
  • Now the connection--quick to hear. Listen first to understand before you listen to respond. This was a key learning for me. In a stressful situation or where disagreements are being aired, my first reaction to to begin creating my response while you are speaking. When I do that, I fail to hear you and really understand you. So I listen first to understand you and your position--what do you want, what do you need, how do you feel. Now, I wait and think about what you have said before responding. Does what you said make me reconsider any of my position? Are there points of agreement? Do we have some common ground. If instead I simply start telling you why I am right and you are wrong, the talking gets louder and the tensions rise. Then anger takes over. And we begin not to talk about the ways we may disagree on ideas and facts, but rather attack one another as stupid, weak, etc. The attacks become personal, the insults fly and malice and wrath follow. 
A month ago, I watched the Tennessee special legislative session and watched the House devolve into chaos with signs, yelling, chanting. No one was listening to anyone. Whoever can talk loudest and longest prevails. Interesting that God invites us to be still and listen for His still, small voice. 

Lord, help me listen to others before speaking and then respond gently with love. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024