Thought for October 26, 2023

  •  1492: Graphite pencil first used
  • 1787: Federalist Papers published
  • 1825: Erie Canal opens
  • 1881: Gunfight at the OK Corral
  • 1901: First recorded use of a getaway car
  • 1950: Mother Teresa founds Missionaries of Charity in Calcutta
  • 1970: "Doonesbury" cartoon debuts
  • 1984: "Terminator" released
  • Born: Mahalia Jackson, Jackie Coogan, Pat Conroy, Jaclyn Smith, Pat Sajak, Hillary Clinton, 
  • Died: Alfred the Great, Charles Comiskey, Hattie McDaniel, Igor Sikorsky, Jackson Scholz [lost to Harold Abrahams in the 1924 Olympics, Chariots of Fire], Dottie Green [catcher for the Rockford Peaches, but not the inspiration for Dottie Hanson in "A League of Their Own"]
Thought:
Reading 1 Peter 5:8 today. What a vivid reminder of the enemy's tactics. Consider this reminder in view of the surrounding verses [5:6-10]. Here is what the Lord is saying to me about these words:
  • The devil is prowling. He is looking for an opportunity. He is active in this world. And like the lion, he is crafty, sneaky, trying to catch me unaware, unguarded, unprotected. He is looking for my weakness. Trying to catch me away from the flock.
  • The devil has one thing in mind--my destruction. He tempts with pleasure, appeals to my lust and human nature, offers bait to entrap me. His motives are always for my hurt. He always appeals to the temporary, not the eternal.
  • So what do I do in response to the prowling devil?
    • My anxiety causes me to doubt, fear, seek worldly solutions to my problems. Instead, cast my anxiety upon Him--give my burdens to Him. [5:7] Recall the old hymn--take your burdens to the Lord and leave them there. Most of the time I take my burdens to Him, but then hold on to them instead of leaving them with Him. 
    • Be alert, pay attention, recognize the work of the devil. [5:8] Perhaps the best thing is to remember to put on all the armor of God leaving nothing exposed to the enemy.
    • Resist the devil. [5:9] We cannot be passive. We must actively resist his deception, his temptations. This is about resisting the devil by standing firm in faith. Trusting God's word and not the world's senses. 
    • Seek fellowship with fellow Christians [5:9]. We bear each others burdens, encourage each other, and I gain strength from seeing you have victories of faith. Scripture reminds us that a cord of several strands is much stronger. 
    • Remember there is a purpose in suffering. [5:10] God is using all things to perfect, confirm and establish us. And suffering and the devil are temporary things--this lasts for a little while. And God's grace is sufficient for every need. Then one day it will all be glory!
Today, expect the devil to be looking for ways to devour you--devour your peace, devour your joy, devour your faith. Be alert, resist, go to Him, support each other. The God of ALL grace is with you. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024