Thought for October 25, 2023

  •  1854: Charge of the Light Brigade
  • 1962: At the UN Adlai Stevenson tells the Russians, "I am prepared to wait for my answer until hell freezes over" in regard to the Cuban missile bases
  • 1978: "Halloween" premiers
  • Born: Georges Bizet, Pablo Picasso, Richard Byrd, Katy Perry
  • Died: Bobby Riggs, Payne Stewart, Richard Harris
Thought:
I have marked one verse in 1 Peter 4, 4:10. Here is what I understand this morning:
  • I have received a special gift. And so have you. The gifts are listed in several places. Today, I just want to ask God to show me again the special gifts He has given me. I think some of those gifts are some we have all the time while others may be gifts that He provides for certain situations. We know people with the gift of hospitality, or prayer, or wisdom. We also know of situations where we seemed to have been especially equipped by God to meet a need, answer a question, speak a truth. The point here is that God gives us gifts.
  • The gifts are not for my exclusive benefit. the gifts are for serving Him by serving others. God does not give me a gift so that I will be smarter or so I can feel superior. He does not give me a gift to polish and shine for my shelf. The gifts He provides are for service. 
  • The gifts are a reflections of His manifold grace. This reminds me that He has a matching gift for every need, every situation. The word "manifold" or "varied" is also used in James 1:2 where it reads "various" when we are told to consider it all joy when we encounter various trials. So here is the amazing thing--we encounter various trials and God has a matching grace or gift to meet each of those trials. Now, since our gifts are given and are designed to be used to serve others, it seems that my gifts are to be used when others encounter various trials. So when a trial discourages someone, God gives a gift of encouragement to others to meet that need. In fact, look down at 1 Peter 4:12-14. Peter almost repeats James 1:2--rejoice in your trials. 
Today, you have been given a special gift. There is someone that you will encounter that needs you to employ that gift in service. You may have the gift of calmness for someone who is in chaos or panic. Or the gift of faith for someone troubled with doubt. Or peace for a situation that is filled with tension. Or the gift of hope for those desperate and hopeless. Employ your gift. Now also remember that God may have given someone a gift that you need today. Be open to receiving. One of the reasons we gather as a body of Christ is so that the special gifts He gives can be directed and employed in those situations where they are needed. His gifts are a demonstration of His manifold grace---be a channel of blessing today. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024