Thought for October 12, 2023

  •  539: Cyrus the Great conquers Babylon [Writing on the wall]
  • 1492: Columbus lands in the Bahamas--Columbus Day
  • 1740: George Whitfield preaches to 30,000 in Boston
  • 1792: First celebration of Columbus Day
  • 1823: Charles McIntosh begins selling raincoats--Brits wear Macs
  • 1892: Pledge of Allegiance first recited in public schools
  • 1901: Theodore Roosevelt renames the Executive Residence--the White House
  • 1928: First use of the iron lung
  • 1931: Christ the Redeemer Statue opens overlooking Rio
  • 1960: Khrushchev bangs his shoe at the UN
  • Born: Lyman Beecher [father of Harriet Beecher Stowe], Dick Gregory, Luciano Pavarotti, Sam Moore [Sam & Dave], Chris Wallace, Hugh Jackman, Nancy Kerrigan
  • Died: Robert E Lee, Johnny Olson [Price is Right announcer], John Denver, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Shoemaker, 
Thought:
Reading James 5:7-12 and considering the notes I wrote in my Bible years ago. My note about these verses says: "Trust the Lord--for His timing; His triumph; and my security." Looking back, I see some of these things, but as usual, the Word is a living thing and so it grows and changes to meet my needs today. To be sure, the truth does not change, but the application to my life, where I am spiritually, may change. 
  • Be patient as you wait for the Lord's return [5:7]. Patience is something I have not mastered--just ask Jan. I get impatient while driving, while waiting, while listening to someone ramble on. I need more patience in my life. Reading these verses again today, here is what comes to my mind:
    • I can be patient because I know the end of the story. I am not asked to be patient waiting for an unknown outcome, an unsure event. I can be patient because I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep His promises. 
    • I can be patient because the end will be precious, triumphant, victorious, glorious. Verse 7 reminds us that the we do not wait for something that will disappoint us--the wait is worth it. 
    • I can be patient because God is with me to provide the strength that I need to endure to the end. I do not wait in my strength--I wait in His. Isaiah tells us that those that wait upon the Lord walk and do not faint or get weary. Why? Our God is sufficient for every need.
  • Don't complain while you are waiting. [5:9] Notice, it says don't complain about each other. Here is a call for forgiveness, unity, peace among the brethren until Jesus comes to make all things new. Families are broken, church fellowship is broken by complaining and the judging that goes with it. "They" are not carrying their load. They are taking not contributing. Satan uses complaining and bickering to sap the power of the body. 
  • Be patient and don't complain because 
    • Those that endure receive a blessing [5:11]. Recall how God restored and blessed Job.
    • The Lord is compassionate and merciful. [5:11]. You can count on His love, mercy and grace to carry you through.
  • Let your "yes" be yes. [5:12] Don't try and make your statement more believable by adding something to it--"I'll tell you the truth"--why would I need to preface anything with that? I swear on my parent's grave--why are my parents involved. "God be my witness"-- He is always  listening, so why add this. "Cross my heart and hope to die"---what does this add. God is looking for our "yes." That's it. 
So today, I will try and be patient, without complaining, and without trying to prove my truthfulness--just be truthful. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024