Thought for September 4, 2023

  •  1781: Los Angeles founded
  • 1862: General Lee begins the Maryland campaign
  • 1888: George Eastman patents first roll-film camera and registers the name "Kodak"
  • Born: Paul Harvey, Ray Floyd, Tom Watson, Beyonce
  • Died: Steve Irwin, Joan Rivers
Thought: Hope you enjoy your Labor Day!

Looking at Titus 1:16 this morning. Paul is writing to Titus, a fellow servant who Paul has left in Crete. The first part of this chapter describes qualifications for elders/overseers. One of the qualifications is the gift of teaching and defending the faith [1:9]. Then Paul counsels regarding "rebellious men" teaching things that should not be taught. How do we tell the difference between those that are exhorting the truth and those who are teaching amiss? Paul says that the latter profess to know God, but their deeds deny Him. 

Think about that one verse this morning with me. Yesterday, did I profess to know God as I sang at church, then today my deeds [thoughts, actions, speech] deny Christ? This morning, am I reading the word and professing to be His, but later today, I will say or do something that denies that I know Him? Now, Paul is talking about people who do not know God but claim to know Him. For most of us, we know God in Christ, but too often our deeds seem inconsistent with our confession. Look at how Paul describes these men--detestable, disobedient, worthless for any good deed. This is just the opposite of our calling--we are His workmanship, created in Christ for good works. I think I now understand that I need to daily examine myself, evaluate my witness, seek forgiveness, repent---so that my deeds will match my confession. 

Think about how many times Jesus talks about hypocrites. Play actors. The reference to those who played multiple parts in a play by shifting on different masks during the performance. Makes me ask do I have a Sunday mask and a Monday mask. A church friends mask and a work colleagues mask. A public mask and a private mask. 

Lord, help my deeds accurately reflect my confession.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024