Thought for September 2, 2023

  •  31 BC: Battle of Actium effectively ends the Roman Republic
  • 1192: Third Crusade ends with treaty between Richard the Lionheart and Saladin
  • 1666: Great Fire of London destroys about 80% of the city
  • 1752: Britain and America shift to Gregorian calendar and 11 days are skipped between today and September 14
  • 1864: Sherman burns Atlanta
  • 1898: Machine gun first used in battle
  • 1901: Teddy Roosevelt says, "speak softly and carry a big stick"
  • 1935: Hurricane hits Florida killing 423
  • 1940: Great Smokey Mountains National Park dedicated
  • 1944: Anne Frank sent to Auschwitz
  • 1963: George Wallace prevents integration of Tuskegee High School
  • 1969: First ATM installed
  • Born: Adolph Rupp, Terry Bradshaw, Jimmy Connors, Keanu Reeves
  • Died: Alvin York, Ho Chi Minh, JRR Tolkien, Bob Denver, Christiaan Barnard, Pheidippides [made the run from Marathon to Athens to give the news of victory--the "gospel"]
We get the word "gospel" or  "good news" from the Marathon event. The word gospel was in use at that time to describe the good news of victory from the battlefield. We share the gospel--the good news of Jesus' victory over sin, death and the grave. So we read that blessed are the feet of those that bring good news. And we read shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace. 

Thought:

Finishing my look at Second Timothy this morning. Take a look at 4:16-18. I am amazed by the way Paul ends this letter. Paul urges Timothy to come to him since only Luke is there. Some have deserted--Demas. Some have been sent to do the Lord's work---Crescens and Titus and Tychicus. Some have hurt Paul---Alexander. Some have deserted him and are now useful to him--Mark. Now look at what Paul says about the life he is finishing. May I learn from him.
  • When Paul gave his first defense, all deserted him. How does Paul respond. Don't hold that against them. Sounds like Jesus on Calvary--Father, forgive them. At the end of my course, can I say to the Father, some people deserted me, some abandoned me, some hurt me, some hated me, some abused me--don't hold that against them. I forgive them as You have forgiven me. 
  • The Lord stood with me. At the end of the course I can say that while others deserted me, the Lord stood with me. He was faithful. He never failed. I praise Him who loved me and gave Himself for me--He never left me or forsook me. He kept every promise. 
  • The Lord will deliver me to His heavenly kingdom. I have a hope that will not disappoint. He has anchored my soul in heaven and will one day draw me to that heavenly shore. Nothing can separate me from the love of God in Christ Jesus---no created thing. 
  • To Him be the glory forever---Bach signed his works--soli deo gloria--to God alone be the glory. May that be the proclamation at the end of all our days--to God alone be all the glory forever. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024