Thought for September 16, 2023

 Coming to you from Salzburg Austria. Traveled today, so a little late posting

  • 1620: The Mayflower departs Plymouth England with 102 Pilgrims
  • 1848: Slavery abolished in all French territories
  • 1869: First recorded hole in one by Tom Morris at Prestwick's #8
  • 1908: General Motors founded by William Durant 
  • 1966: Metropolitan Opera House opens at Lincoln Center
  • Born: J.C. Penney, BB King, 
  • Died: James II, Daniel Fahrenheit, Maria Callas, Mary Travers, Edward Albee
Thought:
I hesitate to end the week with the next underlined scripture in my Bible--Hebrews 10:29. But as I read it again this morning, it speaks to me of the urgency I should have in reaching others with the gospel of Christ and the importance of living a life worthy of the gospel. We have just talked about the privilege we have to enter the throne room of God, covered by the blood of Christ. We have been encouraged to enter with confidence, hold fast our confession of faith, and encourage other believers. Now I am reminded of the fate awaiting those who do not receive the grace that is in Christ.

Look at Hebrews 10:26-31. Verse 31 is sobering--it is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God. Why? There is a coming judgment [10:27]. I don't like to think about the judgment, and we do not hear many sermons about the coming judgment. Revelation paints a terrible picture and here the writer simply says--"a fury of consuming fire." If the fire simply burned up the sinner and that was the end, but it does not---the burning bush was on fire but not consumed. The fires of hell are burning but not consuming--they last eternally. 

Knowing of the coming judgment and its consequences should give an urgency to my witness. It should move me to action. Lord, help me see every person as either a person saved by grace or facing an eternity of fire. Help me encourage the former and reach out to the latter so that all come to know You. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024