Thought for September 21, 2023

  •  1792: Formal abolition of the French Monarchy
  • 1922: Warren G Harding signs a joint resolution approving the establishment of a Jewish homeland in Palestine
  • 1936: Francisco Franco named Supreme Commander and Generalissimo
  • 1937: "The Hobbit" is published
  • 1949: Communist proclaim the People's Republic of China
  • 1982: NFL players go on strike--lasts 57 days
  • Born: Larry Hagman, Stephen King, Bill Murray, Faith Hill
  • Died: Virgil, Jacqueline Susann
Thought: From Innsbruck Austria

Reading Hebrews 11:8-10 today--the faithfulness of Abraham. Here is what I notice:
  • Abraham heard God's call and obeyed. What a simple statement! He was called by God and answered "yes." Sounds like Isaiah. God asks "who will go for me and who shall I send." Isaiah answers, here am I Lord, send me. Now Isaiah and Abraham have a lot in common. God does not detail the assignment, tell them where they will be going, how they will get there, what they will encounter until they say yes. Have you ever noticed that is how God works? Why? Because He expects me to trust Him and His promises. If I truly trust Him, I don't need to know the details. You can always tell a true friend. When I call and say, could you help me do something? The friend says yes before asking what it is we are doing. They trust me. So when God calls, the question is, do you trust Him?
  • Abraham did not ask a bunch of questions. He did not know where he was going--only that God was sending Him and God was going with Him. Enoch's faith involved knowing that their is a God and believing that He is a rewarded of those that seek Him. 11:8 tells us God promised Abraham an inheritance--so Abraham believed that there is a God and believed that God would reward him as promised. Larry, why do you have such a hard time trusting that when God calls and I answer, He rewards. Back in August, Pastor Jay preached on service and read the testimonies from those serving our church. Each answered God's call and each testified about the great blessing they received--God is a rewarder of those that seek Him.
  • Abraham endured. He lived in a foreign land and lived in a tent. I am ashamed on the lack of endurance I exhibit--rather speak English, rather stay in a nice hotel, rather eat food I am familiar with, prefer heat and air conditioning, and a hot shower at the end of the day. 
  • Abraham was looking for the right things. He was seeking the city of God. Makes me ask about what I place priority on in my daily walk--am I constantly seeking the city of God? Or do I seek stuff I want? 
Abraham obeyed by faith, trusted by faith, endured by faith, picked his priority by faith--is that what I do?

Blessings
Larry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024