Thought for August 21, 2023

  • 1831: Nat Turner, Baptist preacher, leads a rebellion
  • 1858: First Lincoln-Douglas debate
  • 1888: William Burroughs patents the adding machine
  • 1911: "Mona Lisa" stolen from the Louvre; recovered in 1913
  • 1942: The movie "Bambi" is released
  • 1947: First Little League World Series
  • 2012; Total eclipse seen in Nashville
  • 2015: Three American Servicemen subdue Ayoub El Khazzani on a train from Amsterdam to Paris
  • 1959: Hawaii becomes the 50th State
  • Born: Count Basie, Jack Buck, Wilt Chamberlain, Kenny Rogers, Usain Bolt
  • Died: Leon Trotsky, Ernest Thayer ["Casey at the Bat"], 
Thought:
Reading chapter 3 of 2 Thessalonians today. Our associate pastor, Matt Longworth, preached from this passage and passages in Proverbs back in July--his topic was laziness. My New American Standard warns to be aloof from those who are "unruly," but the Christian Standard Bible says from those who are "idle." Read verses 6-15 with me. Notice:
  • 3:6--the command here is directed to Christians and those that are idle or unruly are called "brothers." Paul is addressing a problem in the church. Apparently, the 80-20 rule applied then as well--80% of the work done by 20% of the people. Can you imagine how powerful and productive the church would be if all of the people were working? The church would be four-five times as productive if every one participated fully. 
  • 3:7-9--Calling on the church to look to him as an example, Paul says he worked day and night in spite of hardships so that he would not be a burden. I am looking at my life---am I working day and night overcoming hardships in the service of the Lord? 
  • 3:10--what a concept. Paul says that when he was with the church at Thessalonica in person, he said if you do not work, you do not eat. No freeloading. I am certain that Paul made allowance for age or infirmity, but his message for the congregation was clear---I am part of the body and I need to do my job.  Yes, I need help and I need comforting and I need encouragement and I need ministry. But I also must encourage, comfort, minister, help.
  • 3:11--When we are idle, we become busybodies. When I am not laboring for the Lord, I have plenty of time to complain; lots of time to critique how others are doing.
  • 3:13--If you are in the 20%, don't grow weary doing good. When it seems that others are not carrying their load, doing their part, sharing the work---don't get bitter, don't get discouraged, don't let it make you tired or grumpy. 
  • 3:15--If you are in the 20%, do not treat the 80% like enemies. Admonish in love. 
I wonder what the church was like in Thessalonica--probably just like the church I attend. Makes me wonder what Paul would say to me.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024