Thought for August 12, 2023

  •  1658: First police force in America formed--New Amsterdam [NYC]
  • 1851: First America's Cup Race; Isaac Singer patents the sewing machine
  • 1865: Joseph Lister performs first antiseptic surgery
  • 1908: First Model T produced
  • 1927: The movie "Wings" opens--one of two silent films to win an Oscar
  • 1930: Clarence Birdseye patents process for quick freezing
  • 1981: IBM introduces the first personal computer
  • Born: Cecil B. DeMille, George Soros, Jane Wyatt, Pete Sampras
  • Died: Cleopatra, William Blake, George Stephenson [father of the railroad], Loretta Young, Lauren Bacall, Henry Fonda,  Anne Heche
Thought:
Chapter 3 of Colossians has been said to be a refrain: If you have been raised with Christ, or since you have been raised with Christ, how should you live. Paul gives several short answers to this question. To get the full effect, a commentator suggested that before each of the following commands, we first say, "Since I have been raised with Christ."
  • Consider my flesh dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed. [3;5] Baptism is the picture--I die to fleshly desires, actions and attitudes and am raised to walk in newness of life. Notice, I have to consider my flesh dead, it is not yet dead, but as I grow into the image of Christ and die to self, the fleshly desires die. So put off the things of the flesh.
  • Put aside, take off the old self [3:8]. I have to be active and intentional in taking off these things--anger, wrath, malice and slander, lying [3:8-9] Notice the progression--anger leaders to wrath; wrath leads me to think malicious thoughts of revenge and getting even; so, I slander my enemy and lie about him. 
  • Now, put on in the place of the things of the flesh, the things of the Spirit [3:10-14]: compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, forbearance, forgiveness. And do it out of love--love for God and love for others. Putting on these things leads to unity, reconciliation.
  • Having stripped away the old self and put on the new self, 
    • Let peace rule. Love unifies so I find myself at peace with God and at peace with others. I have to allow peace to rule my life--my human reaction is not peace. But in Christ who is my peace, as far as it depends on me I am at peace. 
    • Let the word dwell in me [3:16]--Here I think about the word of the bible and the Living Word. The word allows me to teach and correct others and to accept teaching and correction from them in love and the bonds of peace. 
    • Praise God together [3:16]. At peace and in unity, we join in singing with thankful hearts. A few weeks ago in the middle of his sermon on forgiveness, Ben Mandrell started singing Amazing Grace and as the body joined in singing we felt the unity and peace of the Spirit fill the place.
    • Whatever [3:17] Do everything in the name of Jesus. I am sure this means to put off the old and put on the new in the name and power of Jesus. Love and be unified in the name of Jesus. Sing and praise with thanksgiving in the name of Jesus. But I also think this is a test for us--what if at the end of today, you could look back on your day, everything you have said and done, and be comfortable that you could say and do all in the name of Jesus. Could I talk to others the way I did today in the name of Jesus? Could I treat others the way I did today in the name of Jesus. Lord, help it be so.
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024