Thought for July 6, 2023

1527: Martin Luther stricken at dinner, goes into a depression. To combat his depression he writes "A Mighty Fortress is Our God."

 1785: Congress resolves that the US currency will be the "dollar" with decimal coinage

1970: California passes the first "no fault" divorce law

Born: Frida Kahlo, Janet Leigh, George W Bush

Died: John Marshall, William Faulkner, Louis Armstrong. Jan Hus is burned at the stake for heresy-- a leader in church reform and forerunner of Martin Luther. 

Thought:

Reading Galatians 3 today. Looking at some truths Paul  was proclaiming to the churches in Galatia-

  • 3:6--Abraham believed God and it was reckoned to him as righteousness. Abraham's right relationship with God came by believing God--and here, belief means accepting as true and acting on that belief. Makes me ask myself if I act on what I say I believe. Do my actions provide evidence that what I say I believe is really true? I say the Bible is true and without error--do I live like I really believe that? I say the Bible commands me to die to self and allow Christ to live in and through me--do I live like that is true? 
  • 3:26--we are all sons of God through faith in Jesus Christ. Faith in Christ not only covered us with His righteousness before a holy God, by faith in Christ we were also born anew into the family of God and are now children. And the amazing thing--in this family the children are not male or female, slave nor free, Jew nor Greek--we are Christians. So there are no white Christians or black Christians, female Christians or male Christians, wealthy Christians and poor Christians---we are not a physical family, but a spiritual family. The love of Christ breaks down every difference save one--we are all sinners saved by grace.
  • 3:29--Adopted children are heirs of the Father. [4:7] We are rich because our Father is rich and our elder brother died so we could be part of the family. Think about how rich you are--heir to all the love of God, all the grace of God, all the mercy of God, all the patience of God, all the comfort of God--all sufficient in every respect---abundant so that we can share it with others.
What does this mean for today--live like I believe the Bible is totally true--it is! Live like a son of God and a sibling of Jesus---can the world see the family resemblance, do I act like and talk like my family? How great an inheritance God has for His children? Exceeding, abundant above all I can ask or think. How must I live to be worthy of the name He has given--Christian, little Christ? I am unable to walk worthy in my strength, but Christ in me is my hope of glory. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024