Thought for July 29, 2023

  •  1847: The Cumberland School of Law opens in Lebanon, TN, becoming the 15th law school in America at the time
  • 1907: Robert Baden forms the Boy Scouts
  • 1927: First iron lung used
  • 1954: JRR Tolkien publishes the first volume of Lord of the Rings, "Fellowship of the Rings"
  • Born: Mussolini, Martina McBride
  • Died: William Wilberforce, Vincent Van Gogh, David Niven, Robert Schumann
Thought:
Yesterday we considered Paul' struggle--to live is Christ and to die is gain. Reading Philippians 1:27-30 today. Here Paul tells the church that while they remain in the flesh laboring for Christ that they conduct themselves in a manner worthy of the gospel. What does that look like? Some of us grew up wanting to be worthy of the good name our parents gave us. Some heard coaches say to play worthy of the uniform you wore. Soldiers were encouraged to enter the battle worthy of the uniform. We have called people or teams "worthy" opponents. "

What does it mean to walk worthy of the gospel? Worthy has the idea of worth or merit. So my walk needs to be worth the gospel. My walk needs to recognize the cost that was paid for me. My grandmother had only one grandson. She used to tell him "I wish I could buy you for what you are worth and sell you for what you think you are worth. I'd be a wealthy lady." Think about that. Christ bought us when we were worthless, dead, sinners, aliens, enemies. And now in Him we are adopted children of God, joint heirs of the riches of Christ. He alone transformed our worth from nothing to everything--an indescribable and priceless gift. So now I walk worthy of the price that was paid.

One of the characteristics of a worthy walk is that I am not alarmed by my opponents [1:28]. Think about that. Who are my opponents--doubt, fear. I am not alarmed because of the price that was paid. Because of Jesus I have no fear in life, no fear in death. I am confident in His promises. I trust His word. I have peace and joy despite the circumstances. That is a worthy walk. And notice Paul says when we are not alarmed by our opponents, that is salvation for us and destruction for them. So when Paul tells us that the weapons are designed to break down every barrier and everything lifted up against God, we are destroying speculations [2 Corinthians 10:5]. This is why the witness of a saint who endures cannot be explained by the world--a worthy walk destroys the opposition. Paul makes this clear in 1:30--we have been granted to believe and to suffer for His sake. How we walk through the valley of the shadow of death is a testimony to the Christ we serve--I fear no evil. Not because there is no evil, but because He is with me. I trust His rod and staff. 

Today, how is your walk--worthy of the gospel. Worthy of the price paid. Walking without alarm or fear.  Lord, help us walk worthy of the gospel.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024