Thought for July 25, 2023

  • 1897: Jack London leaves for the Klondike 
  • 1946: First show by Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis
  • 1978: First "test tube baby" is born
  • 1956: Andrea Doria and Stockholm Sweden collide in the Atlantic
  • Born: Walter Payton, Matt LeBlanc
  • Died: Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Ben Hogan, Olivia de Havilland
Thought:
I have underlined Ephesians 6:18 in my Bible. Having put on God's armor and planted my feet to stand firm, what do I do next---pray. Pray at all times. Why would Paul add this to his letter. He must know Larry. My tendency is to pray when facing trouble, trials, tribulations, afflictions, suffering, challenges. And I am supposed to pray then--for strength, wisdom, patience, endurance, faith. But I often fail to pray when everything seems to be going well. Why? I got this! I have everything under control. I can let down my guard and relax. Pride slips in. And pride comes before the fall. So Paul tells us to pray at all times--good times and bad times; victories and failures; praises and pleas. Keep the lines of communication with headquarters open and active. 

Also Paul tells us to pray in the Spirit. We are to avoid simple repetition, meaningless words that we recite from memory. Larry, do not babble before the Lord. Paul has reminded us that when we don't know what to pray or how to pray the Spirit intervenes for us. I have heard it said that true prayer begins when I have said everything I need to say. It is then that the Spirit can speak for me and more importantly, I can listen to what God wants me to hear. 

Notice the reason Paul tells us to pray at all times in the Spirit--
  • To stay alert--alert to the schemes and lies of Satan. Alert to the needs of others [chapter 5 talks of being subject to one another in the Lord]. Alert to be a good spouse, parent, child and master. Don't become complacent in my walk. Praying helps me stay alert and on guard.
  • To endure and persevere. Prayer gives me strength, wisdom, hope so that I can face the trials of the day.
  • To pray for others. Here I quickly understand that I am to pray for my friends, my family, those in my Bible study. Paul tells us to pray for all the saints. But perhaps this is also a reminder that I am to pray for those I don't like, those that do me wrong, those that treat me poorly. 
Today, let's pray in the Spirit that we will be on guard and alert, fully armed, standing firm so that we can endure and bear witness of the power and grace of Christ. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024