Thought for July 24, 2023

  •  1911: Hiram Bingham discovers Machu Picchu
  • 1998: "Saving Private Ryan" premiers
  • Born: Simon Bolivar, Amelia Earhart, Barry Bonds, Jennifer Lopez
  • Died: Martin Van Buren, Peter Sellers
Thought:
Today I am reading again Ephesians 6, a passage very familiar to us-the armor God. Thinking about these verses again today, a couple of things come clear:
  • It is God's armor and God's strength [6:10-11]. If I could only remember this. Instead, I find myself putting on my armor and relying on my strength. Why must I use God's armor, not mine. Because the battle is spiritual and the struggles are spiritual--against the rulers, powers, and forces of darkness and wickedness. My armor is not prepared for battling these enemies--but God in His grace provides armor especially designed for the battle--truth, righteousness, faith, the word. I want to fight battles with my human mind, my human weapons--He offers spiritual weapons and armor designed for the battle. Reminds me of that scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark"--the man swings a large sword, then Indy pulls out a pistol and shoots him--he brought the wrong weapon to the battle. 
  • My job is to put on and stand firm [6:11, 13, 14]. I have said before that God does not give complicated instructions--instructions are sometimes difficult to perform, but not difficult to understand. Here is our charge--God has provided the armor, but we must put it on. We must volunteer to be His soldiers. We must put on the uniform everyday. This is a decision of the will--am I going to put on the armor that God provides or am I going to rely on my own armor? I have to cover my mind with His helmet; cover my heart with His protection, be encircled by His truth, hold His shield of faith and wield His sword of the word of God. And notice, He tells me to but on the FULL armor. If I go into battle knowing the truth, but lacking faith--I lose. If I set me defense correctly, but then use weapons other than the word, I lose. Now, having put on the armor I must stand firm. The picture is the Roman soldier formed for battle. Their sandals had cleats, like football shoes, and they drive those cleats into the ground and stood against the attack of the enemy. The enemy will try and run over you, overwhelm you, overpower you--but God's armor will stand the test if we stand firm. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024