Thought for July 19, 2023

  •  1941: Churchill launches his "V for Victory" campaign
  • Born: Samuel Colt, Lizzie Borden
  • Died: James Garner
Thought:
Reading Ephesians 4:1-3 today. Paul ends chapter 3 by reminding us that Christ is able to do exceedingly, abundantly above all we can ask or think--providing strength and love. Now, Paul says, if that is true, walk worthy of Christ's calling.

What has Christ called you to do? What is your calling in Christ? We could say, well, I got saved so I'll just wait for heaven. Or we may say, I was called to serve as a _________, but now I've done that and can retire. Or, we might say, I really don't have any special gifts or talents. Or, I just don't know what the Lord wants me to do. But here, Paul says we have been called--past tense. So I may not have listened, I may have ignored, I may have disobeyed, but Jesus has called and will call. 

Paul says whatever you have been called to do, do it in a manner worthy of the One who called you. Some of our parents told us, if you are not going to do this right, don't do it at all. All of us are walking--we are on a journey through life. We can walk however we want to---carelessly, aimlessly, slowly, quickly, boldly, hesitantly, reluctantly, eagerly. Paul says walk worthy of Christ, so how did Christ walk? 
  • Humbly
  • Gently
  • Patiently
  • Lovingly
How does that compare to my walk yesterday? Of course, these traits echo the fruit of the Spirit from Galatians 5. Did my walk yesterday give evidence that the Spirit was present and controlling my walk? Or perhaps my walk was characterized by immorality, impurity, sensuality, strife, jealousy, anger, envy. Paul says that if Christ can provide exceedingly, abundantly more strength and love that we can imagine, does our walk evidence that. 

Lord, help my walk today to be a witness to Your love and power walking for, in, and to Your calling.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024