Thought for July 15, 2023

1099: Jerusalem captured by Christians of the First Crusade 

1799: Rosetta Stone found

1912: Jim Thorpe places in the top 4 in each of the Olympic Decathlon events and wins Gold. Also won the Pentathlon

1948: Alcoholics Anonymous formed

Born: Rembrandt, Linda Ronstadt, Arianna Huffington

Died: Ponce de Leon, Anton Chekov, John Pershing, Gianni Versace

Thought:

Reading three of my favorite verses this morning. Ephesians 2:8-10. What a way to end the week. Paul wants the church to know that while in Christ we have been transferred from death to life, adopted as children of the Living God, and raised like Jesus with an inheritance of His riches, we are not responsible and cannot boast about any of it. Why?

  • Grace alone. A few days ago I was singing "Grace Alone." Today I am reminded that grace is getting that which I can never earn or purchase--the price is too high, the debt is too great, the cost exceeds anything I can bring or pay. I am saved by the grace of God. He chose to give me something I could never get on my own---a right and eternal relationship with Him. This means I cannot take pride in my works, my service, my sacrifice. I cannot look at others as being less worthy than me, for I am totally unworthy, unfit, unable. Grace changes my view of God and my view of others. Grace brings me to my knees. Grace brings tears to my eyes. Grace is something that all believers share together. And grace is something that we can share with others. 
  • Through faith alone. It is not faith plus works. It is not works plus faith. It is not ancestry, human DNA, church membership, charitable giving. It is not serving in VBS, teaching Sunday School, or writing this blog. It is faith alone--for without faith it is impossible to please God. It is trusting Christ with everything, for everything forever. 
  • In Christ alone. Again, it is not Christ plus or Christ and. It is Christ alone. My pastor often uses these points in a sermon. Strangely a church member complained that the pastor mentioned this too much--a total misunderstanding of the gospel. 
While it is grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone, we have something to do in response. 2:10 tells us that we are the poem that Christ is writing with the good works God has planned for us. Think about that--Jesus is writing a poem for the world to read and He is using us as the message of the poem He is writing to the world. So when Jesus calls on you to do something for the kingdom, remember He may be writing the next stanza in the poem of your life---His message of love and grace to a world that needs it desperately.

Blessings
Larry



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024