Thought for July 11, 2023

1533: Henry VIII excommunicated 

1804: Alexander Hamilton fatally wounded by Aaron Burr

1924: Eric Liddell wins the Olympic 400 meters. "Chariots of Fire." A missionary to China, he died in a Japanese prison camp in 1945 at age 43. 

1960: "To Kill a Mockingbird"" published

Born: Robert the Bruce, John Quincy Adams, Yul Brynner

Died: George Gershwin, Laurence Olivier

I have previously quoted some of Eric Liddell's most famous statements. Here are a few:

  • "God made me fast and when I run, I feel His pleasure." In the race of life that you are running, have you understood what talent God has given you to give Him pleasure?
  • "Many of us are missing something in life because we are after second best." 1 Corinthians 9:24 tells us to "run to win."
  • "It has been a wonderful experience to compete in the Olympic Games and to bring home a gold medal. But since I have been a lad, I have had my eyes on a different prize. You see, each one of us is in a greater race than any race I have run in Paris, and this race ends when God gives out the medals." What prize do you seek today? 
  • "We are all missionaries. Wherever we go, we either bring people nearer to Christ or we repel them from Christ." Lord, may people be drawn to You through my life. 
Thought:
Still in the first chapter of Ephesians today. Yesterday we read that in Christ we have EVERY Spiritual blessing. Now reflecting on verses 3-14, I see several important things:
  • My blessings are in the heavenly places. Well, this leads me to think about several things:
    • First, I almost always think about blessings in this world. Health, comfort, friends, family, resources, money, things. While God may bless us in these things, His real blessings are not of this world--this world is passing away. His blessings have eternal value and eternal existence, not temporary. 
    • Second, in Christ some of heaven comes down to earth so that we enjoy a glimpse of  heaven today. I may experience a heavenly place temporarily in this life--a profound worship experience, holding a child or grandchild, watching someone profess Christ and be baptized. 
  • Now look at the spiritual blessings Paul mentions in 3-14.
    • Chosen by God. God picked you, selected you, chose you. [1:4] The God of all creation knows your name and selected you. How special is that? 
    • Adopted by God. [1:5] Not only did God choose us, He adopted us, made us sons and daughters, added us to His family. 
    • Redeemed by Jesus. [1:7] Paid the price we could not pay. Freed us from the penalty of sin. 
    • Forgiven by God [1:7] He who knew no sin became sin so that we might become the righteousness of God. Forgiven we are free to forgive others. Ben Mandrell preached a powerful sermon on forgiveness Sunday.
    • God revealed Himself to us. [1:9] In Christ we have seen the invisible, immortal God.
    • Provided us an inheritance. [1:11] Joint heirs with Christ. 
    • Sealed by the Holy Spirit [1:13] Assured and guaranteed of all the promises of God through Christ.
Yesterday we were singing, Count your blessings, name them one by one. Do that today with these spiritual blessings. Think about each one of those blessings. And maybe today we sing "Amazing Grace" or maybe we join with Andrae Crouch and sing:
How can I say thanks for the things You have done for me? 
Things so undeserved, yet You gave to prove Your love for me. 
The voices of a million angels could not express my gratitude. 
All that I am and ever hope to be, I owe it all to Thee 
With His blood He has saved me, with His power He has raised me 
To God be the glory for the things He has done 

Blessings

Larry 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024