Thought for June 7

History:

  • 1099: First crusaders arrive in Jerusalem
  • 1769: Daniel Boone begins exploration of Kentucky
  • 1893: Gandhi's first act of civil disobedience
  • 1906: Lusitania launched
  • 1917: Lion's Club International founded in Chicago
  • 1929: Vatican City becomes a sovereign state
  • 1941: Whirlaway wins the Belmont and the Triple Crown
  • 1941: Battle of Midway ends
  • 1946: Supreme Court bans discrimination in interstate travel
  • 1955: Eisenhower is the first President to appear on color TV
  • 1975: "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" hits #1
  • 1977: Anita Bryant leads successful march against gay rights law in Miami
  • 2020: Covid death toll passes 400,000
  • Born: Beau Brummel, Susan Blow [Mother of the Kindergarten], Paul Gauguin, Jessica Tandy, Dean Martin, Virginia McKenna [Born Free], Tom Jones, Muammar Gaddafi, Thurman Munson, Liam Neeson, Prince, Mike Pence, Bear Grylls
  • Died: Robert the Bruce, Franz Gruber [organist, Silent Night], Chief Seattle, Jean Harlow, Alan Turing, Dorothy Parker, EM Forster, Henry Miller, Bill France, Jim McKay, Christopher Lee
Thought:
Reading 1 Corinthians 10:13 today. I should read this verse every day. When things go wrong, when challenges arise, when temptations seem to be all around, my human response is, "no one has ever had to face this, deal with this, fight this, resist this." This trial, temptation, challenge is unique and worse than anyone has ever faced. In fact, Satan will bring those thoughts to my mind to convince me that if I give in, if I yield to the temptation, it is okay, because no one could resist this. We have all had that experience---we vow that we will not eat a dessert at the class social, the Christmas party, the celebration--we are on a diet, we are trying to get into shape, we want to control our blood sugar. BUT, someone brings our favorite dessert and it looks even better than the one Mom made or that our spouse prepared. So we look around. Everyone else has dessert and some have two. And I think, just a taste, just a small piece. Then, before I know it, I am chowing down. And afterwards, I think, no one could resist that, everyone else gave in.

This verse is really about me viewing life as Larry-centered. My circumstances are special and unique. Others just don't understand the pressure and the problems I face. And Satan uses that to tell me that no one could handle this, no one could resist this, no one could really deal with this, so Larry, you are excused. 

Now while the temptations are common to man, the good news is that God is faithful. And notice how God demonstrates His faithfulness:
  • He limits the temptation. God knows us and loves us. He knows our enemy. So God will not permit the temptation to exceed our ability to resist. Now, in my strength, my power to resist is very weak and small. But in the power of the Holy Spirit, my strength is renewed and I become more than a conqueror through Christ. Look back at Job. God limited what Satan could do to Job--Satan could not take Job's life. 
  • He provides a way of escape. The way of escape is provided so that we can endure the temptation. God provides a way of escape, but we may have to endure, hold on or hold out for a while before escaping. And praise God, His grace is sufficient of the day. 
Today, Lord close my ears to Satan's lies about the trials and temptations I face. Help me rely solely on Your grace, power, and strength to resist until You show me the way of escape. And Lord, when You show me the way to escape, help me flee from evil [10:14].

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024