Thought for June 5

 History:

  • 70: Titus breaches the walls of Jerusalem
  • 1851: "Uncle Tom's Cabin" published in serial form in National Era
  • 1937: Ford begins a 32 hour work week
  • 1947: General Marshall outlines the "Marshall Plan"
  • 1952: First sporting event nationally televised--heavyweight boxing
  • 1967: Six Day War begins
  • 1968: Bobby Kennedy shot
  • 1985: Steve Cauthen wins The Derby to become first jockey to win Kentucky Derby and The Derby
  • 1991: Episcopal Church in Washington DC ordains a lesbian priest
  • 2018: Miss America pageant announces end to swimsuit competition
  • Born: Elena Cornaro Piscopia [1st woman to receive an academic degree from a university], Thomas Chippendale, Pat Garrett, Pancho Villa, John Maynard Keynes, William Boyd [Hopalong Cassidy], Salvatore Ferragamo, Art Donovan [NFL] Bill Moyers, Robert Kraft [Patriots], Ken Follett, Suze Orman, Mark Wahlberg, 
  • Died: Stephen Crane, O. Henry, Bill Tilden [tennis], Conway Twitty, Mel Torme, Ronald Reagan, Ray Bradbury, Kate Spade, Kurt Thomas, 
Today the Lord has given me my 77th birthday. My Dad did not live to see his 77th birthday, a reminder every day that the Lord did not promise us tomorrow, He promised to be with us today. 

Thought:
Pondering 1 Corinthian 6:19-20 this morning. This is a very familiar text--your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. You have been bought with a price, therefore glorify God in your body. Most of the time when this verse is mentioned, I think about taking care of my body--be careful what you eat, drink. Exercise. Don't use your body for immoral purposes--fornication, adultery, assault, murder. But today I am wondering if that is all this means.

  • My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Think about that statement and what it means.
    • My body belongs to the Holy Spirit. It is His temple, dwelling place. This fact alone changes how I view my body. I cannot come over to your house and use it any way I want to--it is your house. So, if my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, I cannot use my body any way I want to--it is His house. So I must ask the Holy Spirit today--what would You like to do with Your temple today--where would You like it to go? What would You like it to do?
    • My body is a temple. What is a temple? The dictionary calls the temple a place for religious practices. A place of worship. So, if my body is a temple, it's purpose is worship. Thus, everything I say and do should be an act of worship to God
  • My body should glorify God. Yes, this means my actions and words should glorify God. But today I am thinking about maintenance of the temple so that it glorifies God. What type of maintenance does my body need so that it glorifies God? We look at our church buildings and want them to be clean and beautiful because they reflect our attitude toward God. I have mentioned in Sunday School before a saint who has gone to heaven. Claude owned a gas station and was not highly educated. But every Monday morning Claude was walking through the church sanctuary picking up trash, bulletins, things children had left behind. He wanted the sanctuary to be clean and ready for worship. So I need to keep the temple of my body clean and ready for worship and service. This means taking out the trash--the wrong thoughts, the wrong attitudes, the thoughts of the flesh. It means asking the owner what needs to be done to prepare the body for service--prayer. It means studying the owner's operating instructions--Bible. 
Today, Lord what is in Your temple that needs attention, removal, correction? What is missing from Your temple that is needed for service? It belongs to You Lord--use it for Your glory. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024