Thought for June 29, 2023

 1964: Civil Rights Act passes Senate after 83=day filibuster

1966: U.S. bombs Hanoi for the first time

Died: Henry Clay, Jayne Mansfield, ana Turner, Katherine Hepburn, Carl Reiner

Thought:

A few days ago, I was reading 2 Corinthians 6 and thinking about not receiving God's grace in vain, but allowing God's amazing grace to strengthen and guide me through all circumstances with endurance. Chapter 9 has another truth about God's grace as it applies to generosity. 9:7 is a familiar verse to most of us and is usually cited in sermons related to tithing or giving money. Today, I am reading 9:5-12. This passage includes a life verse for me, 9:8.

  • Don't let covetousness affect your attitude. In chapter 8, Paul has described the generosity of the Macedonian church as an example to the church at Corinth. The Corinthians had promised to participate in the collection for the saints at Jerusalem, but had not delivered. So in 9:5, Paul explains that he has sent ahead representatives to insure that when he arrives the previously promised gift would be ready--not affected by covetousness. We are familiar with covetousness from the Ten Commandments. But this verse makes me ask myself how often I am affected by covetousness. Does the idea that things belong to me, I earned them, I deserve them, ever creep into my thoughts? Do I then look at others and say, well if they worked as hard as I do, they wouldn't need my stuff. Do I need Paul's reminder that when I accepted the gift of salvation from Jesus, I promised to give him everything. 
  • Sow in accordance with how you wish to reap [9:6]. Another familiar verse. Again usually associated with money, but think for a moment about other applications. Want to be loved a lot--love others a lot. Want to enjoy much peace--sow much peace. Here is a reminder that if I want a lot of real friends, I have to be a real friend. But isn't sowing bountifully risky--suppose I sow a lot of my stuff and then don't reap anything. But look at 9:10--HE who supplies seed to the sower will supply and multiply your seed. So I am not sowing my seed, but HIS. And He has promised to provide. But catch the last part of the verse--He will increase the harvest of your righteousness. The harvest God is looking for is righteousness in my life, not necessarily the seed that I sowed--righteousness in my life is right thinking about people and things---thinking His thoughts. 
  • Sow cheerfully. God told me to sow, so I'll sow even of I don't like it. I'll sow hesitantly, bitterly, pessimistically--begrudgingly. We recall this from childhood. Our parents told us to do something and we obeyed, but not cheerfully. We sow cheerfully because He supplies the seed. We sow cheerfully because He promises a harvest. We sow cheerfully because we want to please Him and be like Him. 
Today, what seed has the Lord given you to sow--love, joy, peace, kindness, gentleness, patience, forgiveness---sow these seeds joyfully and expectantly--He promised a harvest of righteousness. 

Blessings
Larry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024