Thought for June 23

 History:

  • 930: World's oldest parliament established--Iceland
  • 1863: Battle of Tullahoma
  • 1888: Frederick Douglas nominated for Vice-President
  • 1922: Walter Hagen is first American to win British Open
  • 1926: First SAT exam in the US
  • 1949: First 12 women graduate from Harvard Medical School
  • 1960: First contraceptive pill sold in the US
  • 1970: Last "Red Skelton Show"
  • 1979: Charlie Daniels releases "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"
  • 1980: "David Letterman Show" premiers
  • 2016: Britain votes for Brexit
  • Born: Alan Turing, Bob Fosse, June Carter Cash, Wilma Rudolph, Clarence Thomas, Frances McDormand, Maria Thrailkill Vaughn
  • Died: Chuck Taylor, Jonas Salk, Maureen O'Sullivan, Ed McMahon, Peter Falk, Ralph Stanley,
Thought:
Do you ever get discouraged? Things go wrong. Bad things happen to good people. Evil seems to have the upper hand. I try and live a holy life, but my flesh keeps getting in the way. By now I should have learned more, done more, served more. Chapter 4 of Second Corinthians begins with Paul saying "we do not lose heart." He has already told the church that they serve the God of all comfort and that they are ministers of a new covenant in Christ. So if we serve that God of all comfort and are ministers of Jesus, why are bad things happening? How can we keep our hearts encouraged? I think in the verses that follow Paul tells us that if we remember certain things, we will not get discouraged and will not lose heart:
  • Remember your calling. We discussed yesterday the importance of knowing our calling. Jesus has called all of us to be His witnesses. There is no greater calling. We can endure in light of our calling.
  • Remember the world is blinded by Satan [4:4]. This helps me hate the sin and love the sinner. Satan has blinded and deceived--he is a liar. This helps me forgive others who have been blinded.
  • Remember I am only the vessel, Jesus is the treasure. This helps me endure--the vessel is not the important thing. The vessel may be injured or killed. My job is to carry the treasure throughout the world. Did you ever take a look at a space capsule after it returned to earth--charred, burnt--but the treasure inside was preserved. When people attack me for following Christ or proclaiming His truth, they are attacking Christ--I just happen to be the messenger. 
  • Remember that our trials work for our ultimate good, are momentary and light, are insignificant in eternity, and serve a purpose. [4:16-17]
  • Remember your hope--a new body, a new dwelling place--promised by God, prepared by God, permanent, and perfect. [5:1-8]
  • Remember my motivation---pleasing God [5:9], the coming judgment [5:10], my love for Christ [5:14-17]
When I remember these things, I press on, I do not get discouraged. Today Lord, allow the Holy Spirit to remind me of the things I need to remember.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024