Thought for June 22

 History:

  • 1633: Galileo forced to recant heliocentric theory by the Church [Vatican admits it was wrong in 1992]
  • 1675: Greenwich Observatory founded
  • 1874: Lawn Tennis game introduced
  • 1932: National League approves players wearing numbers
  • 1940: First Dairy Queen
  • 1944: GI Bill of Rights signed into law
  • 1955: "Lady and the Tramp" released
  • 1990: Florida law bans thong bathing suit
  • 2020: Covid deaths in Brazil exceed 50,000
  • Born: Carl Hubbell [Baseball HOF], John Dillinger, Cicely Saunders [founded first hospice], Bill Blass, Diane Feinstein, Ed Bradley, Pete Maravich, Meryl Streep, Elizabeth Warren, Cyndi Lauper, Erin Brockovich, Clyde Drexler, Dan Brown, Kurt Warner, Dustin Johnson
  • Died: Matthew Henry [commentary], David Selznick, Judy Garland, Fred Astaire, Pat Nixon, George Carlin
Thought:
Reading the first 18 verses of 2 Corinthians 4 this morning. I find it interesting that 4:1 says we have a ministry and 4:7 says we have a treasure. Today, do I know what my ministry is? Do I understand the treasure that I possess? I meet quite a few young people, many of whom are in a Christian vocation, and ask what is your calling? I am surprised at how few can tell me what the Lord has called them to do. Or perhaps they can tell me what the Lord called them to at one time, but are not sure that He is still calling in the same direction. Understanding the ministry that the Lord gives to us and knowing the treasure that we steward are perhaps the two key factors in living a purpose filled life and being content. Too often, I find myself saying yes to a job before considering if God has called or just someone who needs help. And similarly, too often I say no before asking if God is the one calling me. 

It seems from the preceding verses that our ministry is to follow Christ in His triumphant walk, spreading the knowledge of Him to the world; to live a life of righteousness that reflects His glory [3:9-10]; to be transformed into the image of Christ and reflect His glory [3:18]. And the treasure we carry is Christ in us our hope of glory--live and proclaim the light of the gospel to His glory.

Now, Paul wants us to remember that while we have this ministry and this treasure, we live in earthen vessels. While our message is spiritual and eternal, we live in the physical and temporary. And there is a purpose of this---for us to carry the ministry and the treasure in earthen vessels requires the power of God. [4:7] And in that power:
  • We may be afflicted, but we are not crushed. The world can persecute and torture, but the One who dwells in me is greater than the one who is in the world. Think about a submarine--when it dives deep, the pressure on the inside has to equal or exceed the pressure on the outside or it is crushed. 
  • Perplexed but not despairing. I may not understand the why of what is going on around me, but I know the Who that lives in me. So while I may not understand the why of the suffering, I know He has a purpose.
  • Persecuted but not destroyed. What can mere man do to me? My soul is held tight by the Master. 
  • Crucified yet raised. The world can kill my body, but He has the power of the resurrection.
  • Decaying but renewed [4:16]. All of us see this. Our bodies begin to fail us, but I am daily renewed by the renewing of my mind. Transformed more and more into His likeness. 
For today--Lord clarify my ministry; keep my mind on the treasure; help me endure the momentary, light affliction [4:17] and keep my eyes on the eternal things that human eyes cannot see [4:18]. As the hymn says, "haste the day when faith shall be sight." 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024