Thought for June 16

 History:

  • 1784: Holland forbids wearing orange clothes. Good idea?
  • 1833: Samuel Mills writes "Lead Kindly Light" on a ship traveling from Italy to France
  • 1858: Lincoln's house divided speech [Mark 3:25]
  • 1864: Skirmish at Golgotha Georgia--the real battle was won at Golgotha near Jerusalem
  • 1880: Salvation Army forms
  • 1903: Ford Motors and Pepsi Cola incorporated
  • 1933: FDIC formed
  • 1947: First network news airs--Dumont Network
  • 1960: "Psycho" released
  • 1977: Oracle incorporated
  • 1980: "Blues Brothers" premiers
  • Born: Adam Smith, Geronimo, Stan Laurel, Katherine Graham, Erich Segal ["Love Story"], Phil Mickelson
  • Died: Crawford Long [1st use of anesthetic in surgery], George Reeves [Superman], Brian Piccolo, Werner von Braun, 
Thought:
Reading 2 Corinthians 4:7-18 tis morning. Chapter 4 begins with "Therefore." Since we serve the God of all comfort and are ministers of the new covenant, we do not lose heart even if we are afflicted, suffering or burdened. So look at what Paul says beginning at verse 7:
  • We are just the container, the vessel, the jar. [4:7] Remember when people canned fruits, vegetables. We always had a collection of Mason jars. Or maybe you recall when jelly jars were made so that they could become glasses for juice, etc. We reused the Mason jars and the jelly jars. Now think about the containers today--cardboard boxes, plastic squeeze bottles, all go into the trash. Now think about this verse--we are not the main thing; we are not the important item---we are the container and Jesus is the main thing. Jesus is eternal, perfect, glorious, awesome, majestic--we are simply clay. Paul reminds us that we are not the center of the universe, Jesus is all in all. Sometimes, we put people down by saying, "you are just the messenger." Well, that's us. We are the messenger---He is the message.
  • Even though we are just the jar, because of the Christ that lives within us, we are strong.
    • We may be afflicted, but we are not crushed. Reminds me that He who lives in me is greater than the world/ so no matter how much pressure the world places on me, I am not crushed. Not because I am strong, but because the One in me is strong.
    • I  might get perplexed, but I do not despair. I may get confused or have trouble understanding why things happen, when things happen, what God's plan is, how God can possibly use this situation----But I do not despair, lose hope because I know that God will complete His plan for my good and His glory.
    • I may be persecuted, but God will never abandon me and the world cannot destroy me. He holds me in His hand. The world can destroy my tent, but my home is absolutely secure.
    • Death may be at work in my body [I started dying the moment I was conceived], but there is life that cannot be destroyed. 4:14 assures me that the same power that raised Jesus from the dead will also raise me. 
    • Now, notice 4:16--my outer person is being destroyed, but my inner person is being renewed. Have you who are more mature in age sensed this--as we grow weaker, as we grow more unsteady, as we lose our hearing and sight, our faith grows and we feel the power and strength that come from Him alone. Faith becomes sight [4:18] We see glimpses of eternity and rest in Him. 
Although today we are just vessels, we hold a treasure--Jesus! And because we hold that treasure, we face tomorrow with joy, peace, hope--a hope that will not disappoint. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024