Thought for April 8

 History:

  • 1730: First North American synagogue opens in NYC
  • 1766: First fire escape patented--wicker basket on pulley and chain
  • 1820: Venus de Milo discovered on Milos
  • 1862: Aerosol dispenser patented
  • 1904: Longacre Square changed to Times Square [NY Times moved to the area]
  • 1935: WPA approved by Congress
  • 1946: League of Nations convenes for the first time
  • 1952: President Truman seizes steel mills to avoid strike
  • 1966: Time Magazine publishes "God is Dead" issue
  • 1974: Hank Aaron hits #715
  • 1990: "Twin Peaks" premiers
  • 2003: Lady Vols lose to Connecticut in Championship game
  • 2020: Bernie Sanders drops out of Presidential race
  • 2022: First all private space flight lauched
  • Born: William Welch [founded Johns Hopkins Hospital], Mary Pickford, Sonja Henie [3 Olympic Golds in Figure Skating], Betty Ford, John Havlicek, Jim Lampley, Robin Wright, 
  • Died: Lorenzo de Medici, Elisha Otis [elevator], FW Woolworth, Pablo Picasso, Omar Bradley, Marian Anderson, Annette Funicello, Margaret Thatcher, 
Thought:
Considering Luke 12:15 today--"be on your guard against every form of greed." Jesus follows this teaching with a parable about the man who decided to add more barns to store all his crops [12:16-21]. In verses 17-19, the rich man uses "I" or "my" 9 times. It is "my" grain, my barns, my goods, my crops, my soul. It is what will "I" do and what will "I" say. This story makes me wonder what Jesus had in mind when He said beware and guard against "every form of greed." 

Most of the time we think about greed as involving wealth, physical stuff. The saying by the farmer captures this, "I don't want all the land, just all that is adjacent to mine." I want a better car or more cars [why does anyone need a 14 car garage?] I want a bigger house or more houses--beach house, mountain house, city apartment. I need more clothes, more jewelry, more golf gadgets, more sports trophies. But are there other forms of greed? 

Maybe I want more attention [or all of the attention]. Maybe I want more power and authority. Perhaps more recognition and praise. Maybe I want more of someones time and attention [there is always one child or grandchild who wants all the attention]. Why does Jesus warn about all forms of greed?

Greed is rooted in pride and ego. Greed is motivated by envy and jealousy. Greed leads to coveting and maybe to taking that which is not mine to take. In the end, greed says I am more important and I am better than others---and the way others will know how important I am is by all the stuff, fame, power, etc. that I accumulate. Maybe I just have to have the last word, or get the last laugh. 

Lord, teach me humility. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024