Thought for April 7

 History:

  • 1724: Bach's "St. John's Passion" premiers
  • 1805: Beethoven conducts the premier of "Eroica"
  • 1805: Lewis & Clark leave Fort Mandan, ND [Jan and I follwed the trail from St. Louis to Fort Clapsot]
  • 1902: Texas Oil Company formed--Texaco
  • 1940: First postage stamp with African American--Booker T Washington
  • 1948: World Health Organization formed
  • 1963: Jack Nicklaus wins first of six Masters
  • 2003: US troops capture Baghdad
  • Born: William Wordsworth, Walter Camp [father of American football], Ole Kirk Christiansen [founded LEGO], Walter Winchell, Percy Faith, Billie Holiday, Ravi Shankar, James Garner, Daniel Ellsberg [Pentagon Papers], Wayne Rogers, David Frost, Francis Ford Coppola, Jackie Chan, Tony Dorsett, Russell Crowe
  • Died: PT Barnum, Henry Ford, Johnny Hart [BC and Wizard of ID comics], George Nissen [invented trampoline], Mike Wallace, John Prine
Thought:
Reading Luke 10:40 this morning. Jesus has come to visit Mary and Martha. Verse 39 tells us Mary "was listening to the Lord's word, seated at His feet." Verse 40 tells us that Martha was "distracted with all her preparations." This is speaking to me today. As most of you know, I teach [well, I lead] a Sunday School class each week. I try to be prepared for the lesson---read the scripture, read commentaries, study maps, cross reference passages, look up words and people. But this passage reminds me that sometimes I may get so involved in preparing that I miss the Lord's voice. This made me think about my daily walk.

Do I get so involved with preparing for worship that I can't hear the Lord speak? Do I get so involved with all the details of church, the greeting, the parking, the socializing that I miss what Jesus has to say? Today, will I devote so much thought to planning and preparing and doing that I can't listen? In the South, we sometimes will say, "I'm fixin' to get ready." Is that what I do in my spiritual walk?

Makes me think about my grandchildren. Do I spend so much time planning things to do with them and doing things with them that I forget to be with them? The event, the game, the play consume all my attention and thoughts--but I don't listen to what Thomas and Julianne are saying. Maybe the question is do I get so busy doing life that I miss life. No time to enjoy, reflect, ponder. No time to sit and watch and  listen. Am I so busy doing the things that Christians ought to do that I miss the Christ? 

Jesus went away alone to be with the Father. Lord, help me spend time just with You--listening for Your words, knowing Your heart, resting in Your presence. 

Blessings
Larry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024