Thought for April 5

 History:

  • 1722: Jacob Roggeveen discovers Easter Island
  • 1764: Parliament passes Sugar Tax on the colonies
  • 1792: Washington casts first Presidential veto
  • 1815: Mt. Tambora eruption begins. The largest eruption ever witnessed; killed 10,000 initially. Created  the year without summer in 1816--frost and snow in North America in June and July. 
  • 1906: Mt Vesuvius erupts killing 100
  • 1923: Firestone begins producing inflatable tires
  • 1936: Tupelo almost destroyed by a tornado which killed 216
  • 1965: "My Fair Lady" wins Best Picture Oscar
  • 1971: Fran Phipps is the first woman to reach the North Pole
  • 1972: Baseball players strike--lose 86 games
  • 2020: Boris Johnson hospitalized with Covid
  • Born: Thomas Hobbes, Joseph Lister, Booker T Washington, Spencer Tracy, Bette Davis, Alberto Broccoli [James Bond producer], Gregory Peck, Arthur Hailey, Gale Storm, Frank Gorshin, Colin Powell, Pharrell Williams
  • Died: Robert Raikes [Sunday School advocate], Douglas MacArthur, Howard Hughes, Abe Fortas, Sam Walton, Allen Ginsberg, Saul Bellow, Charlton Heston, Honor Blackman
Thought:
Luke 3:8 is underlined in my Bible. John the Baptist is speaking to the crowds and says--bring forth fruits in keeping with repentance. Think with me about that command. What fruit is consistent with repentance--love, joy, peace, gentleness, kindness, patience, self-control. Or perhaps forgiveness, endurance, praise, thanksgiving. What a simple truth and profound. If I have repented, truly repented, what should people see and hear from me. It seems there is an apology from someone in the news every day. I said something, I did something, I am sorry. And every time we hear the "I'm sorry" we think--is he/she sorry they got caught, sorry they were found out, sorry the video was on, sorry the mic was left on. Or are they truly sorry. Is this a statement prepared by their PR team or do they mean that?

I am sure God looks at me the same way--Larry when you repent, do you mean it or are you just saying it. And the truth is if I truly repent, there will be fruit consistent with the repentant heart. What does my fruit say about my confession? 

Notice in 3:10-14, three groups of people ask "what shall we do?" The first group were not sharing their clothes and food with those in need, so John says--share. The tax collectors were next--don't cheat people. The third group were the soldiers--don't misuse your power/office, don't bear false witness, and be content. I probably could find myself in all of those groups. 

Today Lord, may the fruit of my life bear witness to the truth of my repentance and my love for You. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024