Thought for April 4

 History:

  • 1789: Congress begins first regular sessions.
  • 1818: Congress decides US Flag will have 13 stripes and 20 stars
  • 1859: The song "Dixie" debuts in NYC minstrel show
  • 1902: Rhodes Scholarship formed with $10 million
  • 1917: Senate votes to participate in WWI
  • 1949: NATO Treaty signed
  • 1968: Martin Luther King assassinated in Memphis
  • 1973: World Trade Center opens in NYC
  • 1974: Hank Aaron hits #714 tying Babe Ruth
  • 1975: Microsoft founded by Bill Gates and Paul Allen
  • 1999: Aliaba founded by Jack Ma
  • Born: Dorothea Dix [created 1st American mental asylums], Admiral Yamamoto, Tris Speaker, Bea Benaderet ["Petticoat Junction"], John Cameron Swayze, Muddy Waters, Gil Hodges, Maya Angelou, Anthony Perkins ["Psycho"], Bill France Jr. [NASCAR], Craig T Nelson, Steve Gatlin, Graham Norton, Jack Del Rio, Robert Downey Jr., Heath Ledger, 
  • Died: John Napier [invented logarithms], William Henry Harrison, Karl Benz, Andre Michelin, Adam Clayton Powell, Gloria Swanson, John Heinz, Roger Ebert, 
Thought:
Reading about Simeon in Luke 2 this morning. I am always amazed when I read what the Bible says about Simeon:
  • Righteous.
  • Devout
  • Looking for Jesus.
  • Holy Spirit was upon him. 
  • He came into the Temple "in the Spirit."
Think about that for a moment. Now notice, The Holy Spirit had revealed things to Simeon. I am often seeking God's will about a situation. Or someone has asked me to pray about a situation and I am seeking for God's revelation. Maybe I should learn something from Simeon. He was ready to receive God's revelation. How did he prepare? He was seeking to be righteous--to live God's way, to follow God's commandments, to walk in God's truth. He was devout---totally committed to God, all in, nothing held back from God's control. He was looking for Jesus---am I looking for Jesus? Am i seeking Him with my whole heart? Am I counting everything else as rubbish compared to knowing Jesus? And am I looking for where Jesus is working and moving? As Blackaby says--find out where God is working and join Him there. Is the Holy spirit in me, on me, controlling, teaching, guiding, directing. Am I yielded to Him? And finally, do I approach today with the right Spirit--this is the day the Lord has made I will rejoice and be glad in it. 

I wonder if I tried to follow Simeon's example if God would reveal Himself to me? Today is a good day to try. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024