Thought for April 25

 History:

  • 1507: First use of "America" on a world map
  • 1684: Patent granted for the thimble
  • 1719: Daniel DeFoe publishes "Robinson Crusoe", considered the first English novel
  • 1792: "Les Marseillaise" composed
  • 1792: Guillotine first used in France
  • 1859: Ground broken for the Suez Canal
  • 1901: NY is first state to require automobile license plates
  • 1926: Premier of Puccini's "Turandot"
  • 1928: "Buddy" becomes first guide dog for US citizen
  • 1944: United Negro College Fund incorporates
  • 1953: Crick and Watson's discovery of the DNA double helix reported in Nature Magazine
  • 1959: Saint Lawrence Seaway opens
  • 2011: At least 300 killed in tornado outbreak in the South
  • Born: Oliver Cromwell, Guglielmo Marconi, Arthur Chevrolet, Edward R Murrow, Ella Fitzgerald, Meadowlark Lemon, Al Pacino, Adam Silver [NBA], Renee Zellweger, 
  • Died: Anders Celsius, Ginger Rogers, Art Fleming ["Jeopardy"], Bea Arthur, Dorothy Provine, John Havlicek, 
Thought:
Pondering John 12:16 this morning. "These things the disciples did not understand at the first, but when Jesus was glorified, then they remembered that these things were written of Him." Have you ever encountered challenges, problems, opportunities that just did not make sense at the time, but later, looking back, you understood how God was working ? That is what this verse is saying to me today. Many things in life I do not understand or perhaps I don't even recognize when they occur. Then, days or years may pass and suddenly I understand how God was working, how He used the event, how the circumstances gave Him glory or were used for His purpose. 

Most of you know that through a series of unbelievable events I ended up being president of the SF 49'ers. I met some interesting people. I got to participate in some events and decisions that were way beyond my pay grade. But I really didn't understand exactly why I was there--I had not prepared for that job; I had not dreamed about that position. In fact, I was shocked when the job was handed to me. I completed my time as president on December 31, 1998.  A few weeks later, I had a voice message on my office phone. It was from Brent Jones, a tight end who played for SF for 10 years, retiring in 1997. I had met Brent, but had not spent much time with him. His message was short and simple--thank you for starting chapel services for the team; God put you there just for that. The team had always had Catholic services on Sunday because the owner was Catholic. I had invited a pastor from California to conduct Protestant services before each game. Never really thought about it. But here was Brent reminding me that God is working and has a purpose for my life even when I do not understand or see it. 

Today, I noticed that John 12:16 says--but when Jesus was glorified, they remembered. So my prayer today is that Jesus will be glorified in every thing I do and say--even when I do not see or understand--so that one day I can be reminded of what He was doing in my life. And my prayer for you today is that you would give Him glory. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024