Thought for April 24

 History:

  • 1184 BC: Greeks enter Troy in a Trojan Horse
  • 1800: Library of Congress established
  • 1872: Mt. Vesuvius erupts
  • 1877: Last Federal troops withdraw from the South
  • 1888: Eastman Kodak founded
  • 1898: Spain declares war on the U.S.
  • 1950: Jordan annexes the West Bank
  • 1961: JFK acceptsd responsibility for the Bay of Pigs
  • 1962: First TV signal sent via satellite
  • 2011: Hundreds of Chinese jailed for gathering for Easter services in Beijing Square--their churches had been confiscated.
  • 2013: Deadliest structural failure in history-1134 killed, 2500 injured when building collapses in Bangladesh
  • Born: Robert Bailey Thomas [founded Farmers' Almanac], John Russell Pope [architect, Jefferson Memorial, National Archives], Robert Penn Warren, Justin Wilson [Cajun Chef], Shirley MacLaine, Barbara Streisand, Richard Sterban [Oak Ridge Boys], Cedric the Entertainer, Chipper Jones, Lee Westwood, Kelly Clarkson
  • Died: Daniel DeFoe, Lucy Maud Montgomery ["Anne of Green Gables"], Bud Abbott, Wallis Simpson, Pat Paulsen, Eugene Stoner [M-16 inventor], Estee Lauder
Thought:
Reading John 11:4 this morning. Later this week I have my surgery follow-up appointment with the neurosurgeon. Most of you who read this have dealt with illness, pain, injury or for me just growing older. When I see a child suffering with cancer or an injury, I think why? When I see Godly saints suffering and struggling, I ask why? Then I read this verse, "This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God that the Son of God may be glorified by it." Takes me back to Job. Satan wants to inflict pain, tragedy, harm to Job claiming that Job will curse God. Despite advice from his wife and friends, Job is steadfast in his faith. God is glorified and Job's faithfulness is rewarded.

So how does God get glory from my illness, injury, pain? 
  • He gets glory when I praise Him despite the suffering. By praising Him in my suffering I testify that I believe that He is good, His grace is sufficient, His plan is perfect, and ultimately I will see Him face to face. 
  • He gets glory when I have joy in my suffering--not joy because of my suffering but a joy that even suffering cannot take away. We have all seen it---how does that person rejoice under these terrible circumstances--because Christ lives in them and they have a joy that nothing on this earth can destroy.
  • He gets glory when I am at peace in my suffering. I have the peace that passes all comprehension. Jesus slept while the little boat went through the storm. He knew who was in control. He knew the end of the story. He was secure. In a similar way, resting in Him through trials and troubles testifies that I believe all God's promises are yes and amen in Jesus.
  • He gets glory when I encourage others who are suffering with me, just as I take courage from others who I watch face circumstances with steadfast faith. 
Like most things in my life, I need to be reminded that this is not about Larry--it is about Him, His glory, His praise, His power, His faithfulness. Thank you Lord for reminding me again that my life is Yours and for Your glory.  Help me in the times I struggle to keep the faith with joy and peace and to encourage others as we walk with and toward You. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024