Thought for April 19

 History:

  • 1775: The Shot Heard Round the World
  • 1854: Charles Haddon Spurgeon called to pastor New Park Chapel, London [age 19]
  • 1892: Charles Duryea takes the first American made automobile for a drive
  • 1897: First Boston Marathon
  • 1933: FDR announces that the US will leave the gold standard
  • 1934: Shirley Temple's first film, "Stand Up and Cheer"
  • 1943: Jews refuse to surrender Warsaw ghetto
  • 1945: "Carousel" by Rodgers and Hammerstein opens on Broadway
  • 1948: ABC debuts
  • 1963: Johnny Cash releases "Ring of Fore" written by June Carter and Merle Haggard
  • 1982: Guino Bluford named first black astronaut and Sally Ride named first female astronaut
  • 1993: 76 Branch Davidians die near Waco TX after 51 day seige
  • 1995: Timothy McVeigh explodes truck bomb in Oklahoma City killing 168 and injuring 500
  • Born: Eliot Ness, Frank Fontaine, Hugh O'Brian, Dick Sargent, Jayne Mansfield, Dudley Moore, Jack Rousch, Al Unser Jr., Ashley Judd, Kate Hudson, Maria Sharapova
  • Died: Roger Willams, Lord Byron, Dudley Tyng [urged people to "stand up for Jesus" inspiring the writing of the hymn], Charles Darwin, Daphne Du Maurier, Ruth Hussey, Doc Blanchard, Grete Waitz [9 time NYC marathon winner]
Thought:
Reading the first of the "I am" statements in John this morning. John 6:31-41. Beginning in verse 26, there is a series of questions and statements. Take a look with me:
  • The people did not accept the miracle of feeding the 5000 as a sign that Jesus was Messiah; rather they followed Him around the lake because He fed them. [6:26] Makes me think. When Jesus performs a miracle in my life, do I acknowledge it as a sign confirming His deity or as simply something nice He did for me, something that met my want or need. Jesus loves us and blesses us, but He is always confirming that He is God. Do His miracles in my life cause me to fall on my knees and praise Him as the Eternal God? 
  • The people were "working" for the wrong food. [6:27] They were seeking temporary blessings and not eternal blessings. Is that me? I want good health, good family, good job, good career, good church, good vacations--now. But how am I doing on those enduring and eternal truths--love, joy, peace, patience, kindness. 
  • Jesus tells them the "work" thy need to do--believe. [6:29] Works without faith is empty and useless. Interesting, sometimes we ask what can I do, how can I help, how can I serve--maybe the answer is live a life of faith and trust and obedience.
  • Notice, Jesus said believe. Now they ask for a sign. He had just fed 5000. The sign they mention is more bread, like manna in the wilderness. [6:30-31] Sounds like me. Jesus says believe and I ask for a sign.
  • Jesus says, "I am the sign because I am the bread out of heaven." There is life in the bread that I am, and that life is found no other place. [6:32-33]
  • Now here is my problem when I doubt and fear--"you have seen Jesus but yet do not believe." [6:36] Peter walked on water until he took his eyes off Jesus. Keeping our eyes on Jesus, we trust and believe--no doubt or fear. But then we glance at our circumstances and our faith is shaken. 
  • 6:39-40 are really helpful to me. We often ask, what is God's will? Here, Jesus tells us a part of that will:
    • Jesus will not lose any who have come to Him by faith. 
    • Jesus will raise up all who are in Him on the the last day.
    • Everyone who believes in the Son has eternal life. 
Think about that. God's will cannot be defeated and His will is for those who believe in Jesus to have eternal life, to never be lost again and to be raised on the last day. Now that is good news if you are in Christ today. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024