Thought for April 15

 History:

  • 297: Seven martyrs of Samos are jailed for refusing to sacrifice to pagan gods; crucified in June
  • 1729: Bach's "St. Matthew's Passion" premiers
  • 1802: William Wordsworth sees a "long belt" of daffodils inspiring him to write "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud"
  • 1817: Thomas Gallaudet and Laurent Clerc open the first American School for the Deaf
  • 1865: Lincoln dies
  • 1896: First modern Olympics held in Athens
  • 1912: Titanic sinks
  • 1923: Insulin becomes generally available to diabetics
  • 1924: Rand McNally publishes its first Road Atlas
  • 1927: Babe Ruth hits first of 60 home runs
  • 1947: Jackie Robinson's first game in the majors
  • 1952: First bank credit card issued
  • 1955: Ray Kroc opens the first McDonald's
  • 1992: Jay Leno's last appearance as the host of The Tonight Show
  • 2013: Boston Marathon bombing
  • 2019: Fire at the Notre Dame Cathedral
  • 2020: US reports 2752 Covid deaths
  • Born: Leonardo da Vinci, Guru Nanak [founded Sikhism], Mary Harris Thompson [1st American female surgeon], Joseph Seagram, Henry James, Corrie Ten Boom [dies on her birthday], Bessie Smith, Nikita Khrushchev, Elizabeth Montgomery, Roy Clark, Claudia Cardinale, Emma Thompson, Dara Torres [12 Olympic medals in 5 Olympic Games, last at age 41], Chris Stapleton, Seth Rogen, Emma Watson, 
  • Died: Father Damien, John Singer Sargent, Jean Paul Sartre, Greta Garbo, Byron White, Willie Davis [HOF defensive end]
Thought:
Reading John 5 this morning. A man was sitting by the pool of Bethesda hoping to jump in the water when it stirred and be healed. He had been sick for 38 years. I am always struck by the question Jesus asks this man--"Do you wish to get well." Think about that for a moment. I have been sick for 38 years. For some period I have been sitting next to this pool begging, hoping that I might get in first when the waters stirred. But it has been hopeless because there is no one to help me get in first. It is like Jesus walking into the hospital and asking a patient, "do you wish to get well?" 

Then the thought strikes me. Is there a sickness in my life, in my heart, in my mind. Is there a sin sickness in me? Then Jesus asks, do you wish to get well. The healer, deliverer, redeemer, savior is standing beside you---do you wish to get well. We face this with those afflicted by addiction--do they want to get well? Some of us have secret sins--do we want to get well? Jesus reminds me that it takes a willing heart to accept the healing that only He can bring. Am I willing to turn things over to Him?

I am amazed by Jesus' question but also amazed by His command. Notice--Jesus commands the man to do exactly what the man has just said he cannot do--get up. Reminds me that Jesus often commands me to do things that I, in my strength, cannot do--love my enemies, do good to them that hurt me, forgive. Immediately the man was well, got up and walked. This reminds me that when Jesus gives a command, He provides all that I need to obey except my faith. Once the man believed that Jesus could make him well, He became well. This is not name it and claim it. This is faith exercised and Jesus providing all that is needed. 

So today, I'll answer the question--do I wish to get well, trusting God to provide all that I need to do what He commands. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024