Thought for April 13

 History:

  • 1668: John dryden appointed first British Poet Laureate
  • 1742: Handel's "Messiah" performed for the first time
  • 1840: William Henry Lane perfects tap dancing
  • 1870: Metropolitan Museum of Art opens in NYC
  • 1943: Jefferson Memorial dedicated
  • 1949: Mayo Clinic announces discovery of Cortisone
  • 1970: Apollo 13 radios--Okay, Houston we have a problem here
  • 1986: Jack Nicklaus wins his 6th Masters and 18th Major
  • 1997: Tiger Woods wins his first Masters by 12 strokes
  • 2020: Andrew Cuomo says, "I believe the worst is over"
  • Born: Peter Faber [co-founder Society of Jesus], Guy Fawkes, Thomas Jefferson, JB Lightfoot [theologian], FW Woolworth, Butch Cassidy, Robert Watson-Watt [developed radar], Alfred Butts [invented Scrabble], Bob Devaney [coach], Madalyn Murray O'Hair [atheist], Don Adams ["Get Smart"], Dan Gurney, Lyle Waggoner, Tony Dow [Wally on Leave It to Beaver], Gary Kasparov, Davis Love III
  • Died: Jane Taylor [wrote "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star"], Mark Fidrych ["The Bird"]
Thought:
I am thinking about Luke 18:1 this morning. "At all times they ought to pray and not to lose heart." Two weeks ago events happened  in Nashville that made this verse so real. Most of you are aware that on March 27, three children and three adults were shot at the Covenant School in Nashville. My daughter teaches at St. Paul Christian School directly across the street from Covenant. The first reports said the shooting was at St Paul. Even after knowing that Maria was fine, I cried. What is going on? What leads a 28 year old woman to take assault weapons into a school for young children and shoot them? 

My cry to the Lord was why? Then, Lord help us. I felt defeated and felt defeat for the parents of those little ones, and the little ones that were exposed to the violence and fear. And for the teachers and staff that loved the children and their co-workers and must have felt helpless. What has our nation and society come to. Then I recalled that there are children who live in the middle of violence every day, both in our country and throughout the world. 

This verse reminds me that I should always pray and not lose heart or hope. Jesus has won the eternal battle, but Satan continues his drive to inflict casualties, create chaos, raise fears and doubts. So Jesus tells us to pray--it is the cure for fear, for hopelessness, for helplessness, for feeling like the battle is being lost. Why? Because when I pray I first remember who God is--sovereign, eternal, all powerful, all loving, all wise. I recite His attributes and character--when I do, I have hope, I know who my Helper is, I gain strength and courage [heart]. 

Today, I will try and do what Jesus told me to do---pray and do not lose heart. In every circumstance, every situation, every temptation, every trial---pray. Unlike the judge in the following verses, I cannot wear God out. He hears and sees, He understands, His timing is perfect. Lord increase our faith, help me Trust You, not what my eyes see and my ears hear. 

One thing the Lord reminded me of this morning was that He says to pray at all times. When things are bad, when I hurt, when circumstances look back, I pray; but, sometimes I forget to pray when things are good, everything is beautiful and blessing. So Lord, remind me to pray at all times.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024