Thought for April 11

 History:

  • 1814: Napoleon abdicates and is exiled to Elba
  • 1876: Order of the Elks organizes
  • 1890: Ellis Island designated as an immigration station
  • 1899: Treaty of Paris ends the Spanish-American War and Puerto Rico is ceded to the US
  • 1900: First modern submarine is purchased by the Navy
  • 1909: Establishment of Tel Aviv as a Jewish settlement
  • 1945: Four soldiers from the Sixth Armored Division liberate Buchenwald
  • 1951: General MacArthur relieved of command in Korea
  • 1961: Trial of Adolph Eichmann begins
  • 1965: Jack Nicklaus wins his second Green Jacket; 40 tornadoes hit the midwest killing 272 and injuring 5000
  • 1968: LBJ signs the Civil Rights Act
  • 1970: Apollo 13 launched
  • 1976: Apple 1 computer released
  • 1991: "Miss Saigon" opens in NY
  • 2015: President Obama and Raul Castro meet in Panama
  • Born: James Parkinson [first described Parkinson's disease], Dean Acheson, Jane Bolin [first Black female judge], Oleg Cassini, Ethel Kennedy, Joel Grey [Cabaret], 
  • Died: Joseph Merrick [Elephant Man], James Anthony Bailey [Barnum & Bailey], Erskine Caldwell ["Tobacco Road"], Kurt Vonnegut, Jonathan Winters, 
Thought:
This morning I'm reading Luke 15:7, a familiar verse. "There will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents that over ninety nine righteous persons who need no repentance." I have to let that sink in for a moment. Today, the Spirit is working on me with this verse. If the repentance of one sinner causes great joy in heaven, what does that mean for how we do church? 

  • Recently a pastor told me of receiving an email complaining because he was always preaching about salvation and baptism. Think about that in the context of this verse. If a sinner repenting causes great joy in heaven--what is the purpose of church? 
  • Now the Spirit is really after me--Larry
    • What if the service goes too long?
    • What if the songs are not the ones I prefer?
    • What if the room is too crowded, too hot, too cold?
    • What if the pews are not padded enough?
    • What if I was asked to park further away from the building to make room for guests?
    • What if my Bible study class had to move, divide?
    • What if someone asked a question in class and we got sidetracked trying to answer?
  • Then what if one sinner repented and found Christ? What if I was that sinner who needed to repent? 
Lord, help me understand that You left the 99 for the one. That You rejoice over a sinner's repentance, even mine. Help me understand that worship is not about my comfort, my happiness, my satisfaction, my pleasure, my time--it is about Your praise, Your glory, and about sinners finding eternal life in You. Forgive me for making it about me. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024