Thought for April 1

 History:

  • 1748: Ruins of Pompeii discovered
  • 1778: Oliver Pollock creates the $ sign
  • 1889: First dishwashing machine marketed
  • 1891: The Wrigley Company founded [chewing gum]
  • 1905: SOS adopted as distress signal
  • 1927: First automatic record changer
  • 1929: Louis Marx introduces the Yo-Yo
  • 1930: Bobby Jones begins his Grand Slam season
  • 1933: Nazis begin boycott of Jewish businesses
  • 1934: Clyde Barrow kills 2 young highway patrolmen
  • 1945: Battle of Okinawa
  • 1952: Big Bang Theory proposed
  • 1954: Air Force Academy established
  • 1967: Department of Transportation begins operation
  • 1976: Apple Computer founded
  • 1982: Canal Zone transferred to Panama
  • 2000: Michelle Kwan wins her third World Figure Skating Gold
  • 2004: Gmail is introduced
  • 2019: Online sales exceed retail sales for the first time
  • 2020: Wimbledon cancelled for the first time since WWII
  • Born: William Harvey [circulation of blood], Otto von Bismarck, Edgar Wallace [King Kong], Lon Chaney, William Manchester [author], Bo Schembechler, Debbie Reynolds, Jim Ed Brown, Ali McGraw, Phil Niekro, Samuel Alito, Hillary Scott [Lady Antebellum]
  • Died: Benjamin Pierce, Scott Joplin, William Newell ["At Calvary"], Helena Rubenstein, Marvin Gaye, John Forsythe 
Thought:
Have you ever thought about what it really means to have faith in God? [Mark 11:22] In my mind I am singing that old hymn, "Have Faith in God". Most of you have sung that hymn although we seldom do anymore. I love the hymn because it describes those times when it is most difficult to have faith: 
  • When I am lonely, have faith. Sometimes we are lonely because of a loss of a loved one. Others try and help, but there is something missing. Sometimes we are lonely because we think no one has ever felt like this or been through this, so no one understands. Sometimes we are lonely even in a crowd because we feel different, unlike everyone else, ill at ease. The hymn reminds us to have faith in God because He knows what we are going through and He understands. Jesus went through every trial and temptation and yet stood strong. He invites us to take courage from Him and trust Him.
  • When I feel my prayers are unanswered. I pray for things and nothing seems to happen. Sometimes I question whether God hears or God cares. My grandfather would tell me that Jesus answers every prayer--yes, no , or wait. I've found that He also says not exactly the way you want or the result you want--but something better and ultimately for my good. 
  • When I am in pain or sorrow. Pain, physical, emotional, spiritual, can cause me to doubt and fear. My faith is challenged. Can I make it through. Will it work out. Can I bear it. Jesus promises there will be joy in the morning when His light shines and drives away the darkness. So we have faith that God will provide, God will sustain, God will be sufficient for our needs. 
  • When everything else fails. The last stanza of the hymn says to have faith in God will all else about you is failing. Maybe my health is failing, my relationships are failing, my finances are failing, my country is failing---have faith in God. He will not abandon His own. He is eternal and He will stand through every trial, temptation, storm. 
This reminds me that Satan uses loneliness, unanswered prayers, pain and sorrow, and fear and doubt to test my faith. Ephesians reminds us that we take up the shield of faith to extinguish all the fiery darts of Satan. Maybe today my prayer will simply be for more faith. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024