Though for April 18

 History:

  • 1506: Cornerstone of current St Peter's Basilica is laid
  • 1775: Paul Revere and William Dawes -- the regulars are coming
  • 1906: San Francisco earthquake and fire
  • 1907: Fairmont Hotel opens in San Francisco
  • 1912: RMS Carpathia arrives in NYC with Titanic survivors
  • 1921: Junior Achievement incorporated in Colorado Springs
  • 1924: First crossword puzzle book published
  • 1934: First "Washateria" opens in Fort Worth
  • 1935: Gene Sarazen makes double eagle on the 15th to win the Masters
  • 1955: First "Walk", "Don't Walk" lighted street signs installed
  • 1983: Alice Walker wins Pulitzer for "The Color Purple"
  • 1995: Joe Montana announces his retirement
  • 1998: Peyton Manning selected #1 by the Colts
  • Born: Lucrezia Borgia, Clarence Darrow [Monkey Trial], Barbara Hale, James Woods, Rick Moranis, Conan O'Brien, Melissa Joan Hart, 
  • Died: Yamamoto, Ernie Pyle, Albert Einstein, Thor Heyerdahl, Dick Clark, 
Thought:
Yesterday I read John 6:12. Today I am a couple of verses below that--6:15. Read that with me, "Jesus therefore perceiving that they were intending to come and take Him by force to make Him king, withdrew to the mountain by Himself alone." This spoke to me today:
  • Jesus knew their intentions. Think about that--Jesus knew their intentions and He knows mine as well. With Jesus I cannot say, "it was a mistake," or "I didn't mean that," or "that's not what I intended to happen or how I intended what I said to be taken." He knows what I intended. He knows my heart. I can't trick Him, lie to Him or deceive Him--He knows. What does that truth change about my day today--examine my heart, consider my reasons and purposes--are they His or mine? 
  • They are going to take Jesus by force. I should insert a smile emoji. The people who He just fed from 5 loaves and 2 fish are going to take Him by force. But wait--do you ever think you can make Jesus do something. I hear preachers say to name it, believe it and claim it. If that works, then Jesus works for me. I can require Him to do something, force Him to act. Jesus moves out of love, compassion, grace, mercy--not because He has to or we can make Him. 
  • By force they will make Him king. That may work in a third world country. That might be successful in politics. But that does not work with Jesus. Why?
    • He is king. He is not king because I made Him king--He is king. 
    • I can make Him king in my life by dying to self and living for Him, but no matter what I do, every tongue will confess that He is King of kings and Lord of lords to the glory of the Father. 
What I see is another time when the disciples and the people did not understand. They wanted to make Him king because He fed them and spoke with authority. He wanted them to confess Him as King because He is King and His miracles were confirmation. The miracles did not make Him King, they revealed that He is King. Today, am I calling Jesus King because of the miracles I want Him to do for me. Or am I confessing Him as King because He is King--His miracles just demonstrate the kind of King He is. 

Lord, you are King; You alone are King. Help me submit and obey today. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024