Thought for March 20

 History:

  • 1627: France and Spain sign accord to fight protestantism
  • 1760: Great Fire of Boston destroys 349 buildings
  • 1800: Volta reports his discovery of the battery to the Royal Society, London
  • 1819: First shopping arcade opens in London
  • 1852: "Uncle Tom's Cabin" published in Boston
  • 1868: Jesse James gang robs a bank in Russellville KY
  • 1922: First US aircraft carrier commissioned--USS Langley
  • 1930: Colonel Sanders founds KFC
  • 1942: MacArthur proclaims "I shall return"
  • 1948: First live televised symphony concerts--Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra on CBS followed by Arturo Toscanini leading the NBC orchestra on NBC
  • 1968: LBJ signs bill removing gold backing for paper money
  • 1976: Patty Hearst convicted of bank robbery
  • 1985: Libby Riddles is first woman to win Iditarod
  • 1986: NYC passes first lesbian and gay rights legislation
  • 1999: Legoland California opens
  • 2003: Ground invasion of Iraq begins
  • 2020: Tom Brady agrees to join Tampa Bay
  • Born: Henrik Ibsen, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Edgar Buchanan [Petticoat Junction], Ozzie Nelson, Carl Reiner, David Warren [invented Flight "Black Box"], Fred Rogers, Jerry Reed, Pat Riley, Bobby Orr, William Hurt, Spike Lee, Holly Hunter, Sloane Stephens
  • Died: Harry Vardon, A.E. Douglass [invented tree-ring dating], Chet Huntley, Lewis Grizzard [UGA classmate and humorist], Kenny Rogers, 
Thought:
In Matthew 23:13-36, Jesus pronounces a series of woes. The objects of His pronouncements are the scribes and Pharisees. But I am struck by the reasons for these woes—do they apply to me?
  • Am I an obstacle to others seeing Jesus? (23:13)? Do my words or actions draw people to Jesus or push them away? Do they see a consistent life or a hypocritical life—two faced.
  • Do I practice all the outward rituals of religion while acting greedily, selflessly, dishonestly? (23:14)
  • Do I seek disciples who follow me or do I teach them to follow Jesus? (23:15) unfortunately we see this when people’s religion is based on a teacher, preacher or personality. 
  • Do I make up my own rules or use magic words or phrases to mislead others? (23:16-22). Do I elevate the “how” over the “why.” You have to sing certain songs, perform certain rituals or rites, serve in a specific way. 
  • Do I major on the minors? (23:23-24) 
  • Am I careful to perform outwardly but hold onto my secret sins? (23:25-28) I want to look righteous rather than be righteous. 
  • Do I claim that if I had been around I would have been John or Peter and not the rich, young ruler or Judas Iscariot? (23:29-33) I claim I would have recognized Messiah and not rejected Him? But every day, I fall short of the glory of God. 
I don’t know about you, but reading in “red” these woes causes me to stop, examine myself, seek forgiveness and thank God for His mercy and grace.

Blessings 
Larry 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024